rando1000 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Co-worker can't link to dbase file, but I can

I have 2 machines, mine running Windows 8.1 with MS Access 2010 32 bit, my co-worker running Windows 7 SP 1 with MS Access 2010 64 bit. I can link to dbase files on our network and modify data all I want, he just gets a "file not in expected format" error no matter which version of dbase he tries to use. We've tried the exact same files, minutes apart. Mine works, his doesn't, so it's not a file corruption issue (unless my software is somehow more tolerant of the specific corruption, I guess).

Any ideas?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I see no reference to dbase in either one of those threads.

June7 is offline VIP
    Sorry, I read over dbase as just db.

But I suspect the issue is still with 64-bit - the coworker is using 64-bit Windows 7 and is also using 64-bit version of Access?

Be aware, MS has removed all support for dBase with Access 2013.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the removal of support for dbase. Unfortunately, several key direct mailing industry softwares still rely on the dbase format. I was recently forced to adopt one of those over our current direct mail solution, which was an Excel/Access workflow, despite my recommendations.

Yes, the co-worker is using 64/64 (OS/Office), whereas I'm using 64/32. I figured that might be the problem. I might suggest a dual office install of some sort on Monday. Thanks for the opinion.

The only other thing I could think of was there used to be some issues with MDAC and dbase files back in the early 2000's.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Can you show the VBA you are using to connect to the Dbase? If you are linking to the Dbase file, are you using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) in your links?

Not using VBA. Just External Data tab, dbase from drop down, link option button (instead of import). It's not a programmatic thing, it's something we need to be able to do on the fly.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by rando1000 View Post
    ...Just External Data tab, dbase from drop down, link option button (instead of import)...
    Are you using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) in your links? When you "Browse" to the file, are you using mapped drives or are you navigating through the "Entire Network"?

June7 is offline VIP
    You said you each tried the exact same db file? This is the same file located on a shared server, not individual copies on your local drive?

The co-worker cannot establish link from a new db file? Co-worker has ODBC set up in Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Are you using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) in your links?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    When you "Browse" to the file, are you using mapped drives or are you navigating through the "Entire Network"?
    Drives mapped by Group Policy from the Domain Controller. Both users are in the same group and have the same permissions. And, if I log on with my user on his computer, it also does not work.

I have a new bit of information. His computer actually CAN link to dbase files, just not those created by a specific program (BCC Mail Manager). He can export and import dbase in III, IV, or 5 format. I CAN link to the files produced by the software in question, in addition to the others.

Also, I tried a VM with Windows 7 and both 64 bit and 32 bit Access (one at a time) and was not able to open these files there either. I would be convinced they were corrupted, except for the fact that my computer can both open and modify them (using SQL) from within Access 2010 32 bit. I can then go into the files inside the software and my changes have been made correctly. So whatever formatting issues might be happening in the software, my computer tolerates them and his does not.

We've also tried downloading and installing MS' old ODBC drivers for FoxPro, with the same result. I have not (consciously anyway) installed any special connectivity software on my computer.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.