kazaccess is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Selling My Database

I've created an Access database for my former college club sport team. It keeps track of players, tournaments, games, teams in the league, etc. It also contains several queries and reports that can have a rigid structure or be ad hoc, at the disposal of the user. I have created a 20 page manual for this database that includes table & field information and also explains how to use each of the forms, queries, and reports.

In my opinion, although obviously biased, this is a great tool that is very user-friendly and easy to use even if you have not touched Access in the past; I have tested it on non-Access users, and they are able to pick it up with no problems.

I was wondering if any of you have sold an Access database like this before and would be able to tell me the price at which you sold it. I know that every database, demographic, etc. is different and therefore has a different value, but I am just seeking input to consider before "putting it on the market" and customizing it for other colleges. I also understand that it is not possible for me to guarantee that it won't be redistributed or given away to others for free, but I would like to keep that out of the discussion for the time being.

I would appreciate any input you can provide!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It is all about the ROI. Calculate that.

I think you have the right idea about offering the source code as part of the deal. Support of software is a huge factor when determining value. However, not everybody cares about other people's creations. The code would have to be heavily commented, uniform in conventions, and accompanied with a model/diagram.

Also, you can make a great sandwich, hamburger, and milkshake. But, if there is no place to park and no foot traffic/frontage, you are not going to sell meals.

There are a bunch of other factors to consider like revenue taxation, licensing, etc. Are you ready to share your SS number with every company that buys your product? Maybe incorporating is necessary.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.