Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CWest is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Simple Data Entry

I may be in the wrong forum. I am needing a way for people to enter about 4 pieces of data and select from a list for one and yes/no for another and that to generate into an excel file that is saved elsewhere with limited access. Attached is a picture of the final excel spreadsheet I need. The Date, qty, Part #, and Millwright sections would be keyed by the person and for department and department # they would select Department name and then pick which shift, using those two inputs it would generate the name and then using the shift and department name together would generate a 2 digit code to coincide with the information input. The re-order would be a yes/no selection. If all the required information could be displayed and they have Clear and Submit options would be a bonus. Most of the people I am having to do this for are no so computer literate, so ease is the best. I am hoping this can be done without another program otherwise it will be much more difficult to implement.
    ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	access.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	17260

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Exporting data from a DB is done after the DB is built. I suggest you first create some tables and queries in your DB so you have a way to at least input data. Data input should be done through Forms though.

When you have data in your DB, then you can worry about how to export the data.

CWest is offline Novice
    Ok I have layed out a form to input all of the pertinent data. I have a delete record button to go along with it and once progressed all the way through it automatically creates the record wether or not anything is entered or not. I need a button they have to click to submit, not just progress through. Also is there anyway to make it so when I am in a drop down list I can use the down/up arrow to cycle through my selections or am I stuck with click and pick?

CWest is offline Novice
    Also I would like to be able to open an uneditable version of this for them to input data and only this form. How do I get to that?

Maybe the focus should be on getting data in tables so an Export process can be created. I am having a hard time understanding what you have created so far. Can you upload your DB? Remove sensitive data, run a Compact and Repair, Zip the file down.

I will take a look at it when I get the chance.

CWest is offline Novice
    Is there a way to create a command prompt for Submit or Cancel prior to creating the record?

CWest is offline Novice
    I have a form that allows entry of all of the data previously mentioned and I am trying to make it so that records are only generated after accepting a prompt, not by cycling through all of the selections. I have attached a photo and will attach the actual file later, but I need the form to operate before I begin connecting it to an Excel table. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	db.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	17267

The conventional method is to use bound forms and controls. As the User types data into the form's controls, the data is stored in the table(s). To reverse the data input, the before update event is often employed. I usually employ code to reset the fields to their respective default value. Another option may be to simply delete the record if the record is something that user just then created.

CWest is offline Novice
    This is going to be a form running on a computer and all of the values are to be entered by the maintenance men taking parts from stock. It is not going to be monitored constantly a the Excel form it will be sending data to will be looked at once in the morning. It will be updated constantly. I also need a way to begin a new set of records. Say all day today these men input all of these records and when the Clerk comes in in the morning to view the file, she then needs to be able to end the updating of one sheet in the workbook and anything after that will generate to a new worksheet in the same book. This way she knows when the cutoff point is.

Quote Originally Posted by CWest View Post
    This is going to be a form running on a computer and all of the values are to be entered by the maintenance men taking parts from stock. It is not going to be monitored constantly a the Excel form it will be sending data to will be looked at once in the morning. It will be updated constantly. I also need a way to begin a new set of records. Say all day today these men input all of these records and when the Clerk comes in in the morning to view the file, she then needs to be able to end the updating of one sheet in the workbook and anything after that will generate to a new worksheet in the same book. This way she knows when the cutoff point is.
    OK........

CWest is offline Novice
    I have attached my DB.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I recommend using a field of type date in your table for the data. I also recommend not to use reserved words for names. Date is a reserved word. Maybe the field could be ReportDate or RptDate or something. Advise no spaces or special characters in names.

I added some code to your form. I also added a module that will help to test for 0, Null, Empty String, etc.

Instead of me going into an explanation of everything, maybe you should take a look at it first.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ItsMe; 07-15-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: changed word data to date

CWest is offline Novice
    I'm guessing the save and exit is the way to start the new sheet. Also it is still creating records by cycling through everything as long as one blank has something filled in. Thanks for all the help. I will see what else I can get done.

CWest is offline Novice
    Ok, so if I am trying to swap between form view or layout view to design view. It's giving me the prompt to fill out the required fields.

For starters, most developers in Access avoid Layout View. To address the issue with cycling through all of the records, you can adjust some of the properties of the form.

If the purpose of the form is for data entry, you can set the Data Entry property to = Yes. This will cause the form to open and create a new record automatically. Similarly, you can use VBA from another form (like a Main Menu form) to open the form in Data Entry mode.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.