Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DB88 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

"file in use" error message

Hello,

I created a split database. The backend went on a shared network drive where all my users have read/write priviledges. Then I gave each of my users a copy of the front end that they put on their local computers. According to all of my research, with this setup Access is suppose to allow multiple users in the database simultaneously. However, if anyone tries to open the database when someone else is already using it they get the error message "file in use".

I've confirmed with IT and the Admin for the folder that all of my users have read/write priviledges to the shared drive housing the backend. There are only 6 users and usually it is only 2 who want to use database simultaneously. I don't know what is wrong.

My IT person said that they have heard this type of problem with Access before. Usually, people have to shell out money and get a server because Microsoft's claim that Access can run on a shared drive is usually untrue.

There is no way I'm going to get a server so I have to make the database on a shared drive work. But I don't know what my next troubleshooting step would be. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Sometimes, when on the network, a user can exit the database but the locking file (.ldb file) remains. Access will say someone is in it.

Exit access, delete the .ldb file, THEN reopen the main .mdb and it works.
    If you CANNOT delete it, then either:
    1. someone is in it
    2. via some Citrix remote access method used to get to the network, it still has a session open and must be ended (via IT dept)

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by DB88 View Post
    ...My IT person said that they have heard this type of problem with Access before. Usually, people have to shell out money and get a server because Microsoft's claim that Access can run on a shared drive is usually untrue....
    I have no idea where this comment is coming from. A stand alone external drive with hardware sharing capabilities would probably work as a file server for a back end. All I have ever used is a file server for back ends. Maybe newer versions of Access with enhanced features require a database engine to run on the server but I am not aware of this. You do not need an application server as a back end.

Check the folder where your back end file is for an orphaned laccdb file.

There is no orphaned laccdb file in the folder

The only time there is a laccdb file is when someone is using the database (which is as it should be). If only one user is in database there is no error message. The error message only occurs when a second person wants to use the database.

Microsoft claims that there can be simultaneous users. Is that true?

Then it is a security issue with folder permissions. If, while there are no connections to the BE, there is not an lacddb file on the server where the BE file is, you need to reconsider folder permissions.

I suggest you test this by mocking up a FE and BE file on a local machine and try connecting multiple FE files to the same BE file. Do this in an environment that you control Read Write permissions.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    We use multiple users all the time. NOT on the front end tho, each individual needs their own copy, but they all access the backend just fine.

Ranman256: Every user has their own Front end but they can't get the back end simultaneously

ItsMe: Why would there be a lacddb file in the shared folder if no one is using the database? The way I understood it, the lacddb is a temporary file created when someone open the database. It is responsible for version control. Once the last person exits the database, the lacddb file is no more. But what you are saying is that the lacddb file should always exist (weither or not anyone is using database). How would shared folder permissions be responsible for this? Like I said before, I have confirmed with IT and the administrator of the shared folder that all my users have read/write.

Quote Originally Posted by DB88 View Post
    ...Why would there be a lacddb file in the shared folder if no one is using the database?...
    Sometimes an laccdb file or an ldb or other equivalent gets orphaned. This can happen when an application causes an exception and or the DB is unexpectedly shut down. The result of trying to open a file where an orphaned laccdb exists is the symptom you are currently experiencing.

EXCEPT there is no orphaned laccdb file in my shared folder!!

The laccdb file ONLY exists when someone is using the database. It does not exist when no one is using database. Which from all the research I've done means that everything is WORKING PROPERLY

fredz is offline Novice
    Try this:

Instead of opening the front-end by double-clicking, or using a shortcut that points to the front-end;
    Try opening MS Access and then use File -> Open on the front-end.

I found when our network installed a Windows security patch, we could no longer open a front-end by double-clicking if a user was already in the database. We could, however, first open Access, then open the front-end. Or, we could also create desktop shortcuts with a command line of:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSAccess.exe" "I:\Apps\FrontEnd.mdb"

Good Luck,
    Fred

fredz,

Gave it a try and nope didn't work
    I opened Access first then did File > front end. Then I had another user do the same. They got the "file in use" error message. So, I had them exit and asked a different user to try, same result.

Z1nkstar is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Look here are the Directions When this Happend to me:
    1. Make sure everyone is out of Access Database
    2. Log onto the Server Computer
    3. Click Start Button or Go to Search
    4. Control Panel and Double Click Administrative Tools
    5. Open Computer Management
    6. Choose Shared Folders
    7. Click Open Files and Locate the Locked database file <--I recommend just closing out all access running files just to make sure.
    8. Now from the Server computer you should be able to Delete the Locked File

Z1nkstar: I am not the administrator to the shared folder so I can't do what you suggest personnelly. I will have to contact IT again and get them to try it (another week long process). Before I do that are you sure this is the problem? I don't know what locked file you are referring to. There is no other access file in the shared folder than the back end. There is NO orphaned .lcddb file in my shared drive. Plus this is not a problem that suddenly occured two days ago, we've never gotten simultaneous users to work so I don't think it is due to the sudden existence of a locked file. But I have no other ideas so if you really think there is a locked file that I can't see when I open the shared drive then I will try to get ahold of the folder administrator

Z1nkstar is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    From a server computer you are able to see what files everyone has open then as you can from the server computer is to shut them down remotely from the server computer as is I am sorry for your IT issue I am an IT guy when somethings wrong I normally get it down right then so I can say there making us look bad.

Lets try this can you take a snap shot of your database when you hold down shift and open it
    I want to see your Tables (Checking if they are linked or local)
    Make sure you open the Database file on your local pc
    not from the shared folder

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't see that anyone has mentioned this -

Did you check the setting for the open shared/exclusive option on the backend database?

Open the back end database, then Go to File - Options - Client Settings, and scroll down to Advanced. The "Shared" option should be the one selected.

HTH

John
    Last edited by John_G; 07-15-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Clarification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.