ldodge429 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

New kid on the block

Hi all --
    I am relatively new to ACCESS and have taking the challenge of building a DB for work. It is somewhat complex so I hope to learn ALOT on this forum.

The first thing I need to be able to do is time stamp records as they are created and then later edited (some have 10+ edits) while others are entered and not edited. The latest entry should be the one that appears on the query.
    As an example --
    Every sample is given a number 1 - 100 per day (the counter is started over at midnight) so I need to time stamp the sample number so we know when the sample was started (generally, unless there was a mistake, this record will not be edited). We will conduct various tests on the sample i.e. pH which will drop during time, but we still need to record each test result with time taken (this is one that will be edited 10+ times) for later review. I don't have anything built yet so this is a blank slate -- any thoughts will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lawrence

June7 is offline VIP
    Each test result should be a new record. The date/time a record is initiated can be automatically saved into record. Saving a date/time when sample testing is completed will require data entry (typing) or code behind a command button.

However, before even thinking about GUI, should get data structure set up. Perhaps this will help http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Z1nkstar is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Date Stamps are not that hard to make they are fairly easy but as June7 said it would be best if you could plan out your database know exactly what your going to need before even attempting your first table (on your actual bd of course) I took a series of notes and took an actual paper and drew out what I wanted out of my database and the design and what all I needed to do now that mine is designed is keep adding more and more features.
    As I said before just do these Steps it doesnt happen fast for a very successful database so here are my steps to a great database

- Plan out each table you will need
    Basically Make sure you have a good Idea about how your data will relate and how many tables are needed for your database

- Under each table you need to Plan out fields and the different types of fields
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010233292.aspx
    Here is a good website for looking for the different data types and properties.

- Queries are used to relate tables and specify different types of criteria for each field
    Fields and Queries Took the longest to plan out because using access there are endless possibilities for a database
    These are what you would use as your Data Record Source for each form created.

- Form Design is very important Designing is more then half the time making your database pop
    You want it to be user friendly but secure so that not everyone has the ability to do everything
    People can be trusted but records DON'T come back after deleting them.
    How I planned my design was around like a categorical type database.

Here is my database for you to reference if you would like:
    DLDB.zip

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I wouldnt think you'd edit the PH record, but rather ADD the new PH record and new timestamp.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In terms of structure just for your testing you should have a 'main' table and a 'sub' table.

Your main table you can have a field called 'CreationDate' with a default value of now()
    Every time you enter a new record this will be autopopulated with the date/time it was generated.

Then as part of your data entry you can calculate the sample number based on how many records are already in your database for the day the data entry is happening.
    Make sure this table has a primary key field (autonumber is just fine)

Your 'sub' table will have a foreign key to your 'main' table (the primary key or PK of the 'main' table). This table can store your PH measures and the date/time (entered by hand or again you can set a default date/time field to record the date/time the entry was made).

Make sure you look at rules of data normalization before you start this database.

ldodge429 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    I wouldnt think you'd edit the PH record, but rather ADD the new PH record and new timestamp.
    that is exactly correct

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.