Minky1 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2003

How to use the output from a Dynamic search on multiple fields in another form

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post - thank you in advance for any help offered.
    I have been asked by my friend to set up a rentals database for her new video rental shop.

I have got so far but I am currently stuck at a customer and film search function I am trying to set up.

First a little bit about the database:

I am currently using Access 2003. The database has three tables - STOCK, CUSTOMERS and CUSTOMERRENTAL.
    The CUSTOMERRENTAL table is linked to the STOCK table via the STOCKID and the CUSTOMERS table via MEMNO.

I am now in the process of trying to create a form to populate the CUSTOMERRENTAL table with checked out film records.

I have used a template on this forum to design a search form for the MEMNO (customer membership number) and a separate form for the STOCKID. The template for these forms is here: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=188663

This form (FRM_SearchMulti) allows me to type in the first name or surname of the customer, their Membership number or one of the names of the authorised renters to locate the account.

I have set up a second form (FRM_SearchMulti2) based on the same template to search by title, format etc. to locate the stock ID of the film.

The problem I now have is utilising the output of these forms in a third form that will have the following fields and will link and populate the CUSTOMERRENTAL table.
    MEMNO - Customer membership number (field properties number-single) want to get this from FRM_SearchMulti.SearchResults
    STOCKID - Film stock ID number (field properties number-long integer) want to get from FRM_SearchMulti2.SearchResults2
    RENTDATE - The date the film was checked out (field properties date-short) Defaults to todays date
    NIGHTS - Nights the film was rented for (field properties number-single) has a drop down list for number of nights
    DUEDATE - Calculated field - RENTDATE + NIGHTS does not need to be stored to table

I have experimented with the open form macro in the on click event which I works if I am only using one form but falls down when using two forms.

Ideally what I am trying to get to is having the two search forms FRM_SearchMulti.SearchResults and FRM_SearchMulti2.SearchResults2 embedded in a third form that populating the MEMNO and STOCKID fields where I can also manually populate RENTDATE and NIGHTS and then have those 4 fields populate CUSTOMERRENT with a new record when I save. I have hit a wall and am basically progressing through trial and error so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jody

Minky1 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2003
    Ok, I worked out what I needed to do.
    Managed to find the SetValue function in Macros and added the Macro to the OnClick event of my form.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for posting your solution and welcome to the site!
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.