wrkadri is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Exclamation Need your comments regarding HR database

Hi all

I was working on an HR database for an international NGO. The NGO starts from the mission level which is represented by the country that it is in. Each mission has 1 or more bases based on the cities they are locate in. Each base can have 1 or more employees. Each employee salary is base on a pre-identified salary scale based on the position and the grade of the employee. Each employee can have one or more contracts based on the contract type (Open ended, fixed term, internship, volunteer, consultancy). Each contract will be based on a certain project/grant.

I have created the relationships. Can you please check it below and give me your feedback if anything should be changed or modified.
    On the other hand, I will work also on the payroll system for the employees and include it in this same database. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Not quite understanding PositionsTbl. You may need to add a Foreign Key field to represent EmpID in this table and have it behave as a Junction Table. Which brings me to defining your relationships for ContactTypesTbl and ProjectsTbl in your realtionships window. You may run into difficulties if you use Access' intrinsic Referential Integrity management tool. Adding a new employee may become cumbersome to impossible if they need to instantly have contacts and projects. It has been several years since I have even looked at the Relationship Window. You may be OK. It is just something to be aware of as you delegate tasks to the Relationships Window.

I suggest using a different naming convention. I typically place the description of the object in front. So ProjectsTbl would be tblProjects in one of my DB's. It makes it easier when you are trying to implement code to see the object type first. I also use the Camel Case convention by having the very first letter lower case. Another example. tblContrType

As for creating a payroll app, I would not go any further than managing operations. Once it is time to have the back office calculate withholdings, I would depend on QuickBooks or Sage50 (Peachtree). Create an app so the back office can understand how many units a given employee will be compensated for in a given pay period. Then back office personnel can type the info into their accounting software. The next level would be to have your app talk to the accounting software and update the accounting software in real time. The next level after that would be to have your app manage all aspects of payroll and reporting (I consider this to be the crazy stupid level).

wrkadri is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thank you "ItsMe" for your prompt reply. Let me explain how the salary scale works for me.
    First, I identify each position (ex. Coordinator, Manager, Field Officer, etc...) each position can have 5 grades (from 1 to 5).
    Let us say that the employee is a manager and he is in grade 1, he will get a specific salary.
    I don't need to link employees to positions table directly if it's related to the grades which is already related to the positions table.
    As for the projects table, it is the grants that they get as an international NGO. For example, a certain donor gives them funds, using these funds they will sign contracts. So the admin team needs to keep track of the contracts signed under a certain grant.

Thanks for the advice of the naming convention it is much easier and helpful.

On the other hand, the payroll system will be concerning monthly salary and benefits for each employee only and keeping track of what have been paid and for which month. I am already working on it and I will share it soon for any feedback.

Thank you for your help.
    Much appreciated.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.