Immortal is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Emplyees and Projects database

I'm sort of making a database with 2 tables: employees and projects. I have set up a many to many relation between both using another table.

I have some questions:

1- Now in the projects table, I want to add a field that calculates how many employees working on the project. Should this be done directly on the projects form? should it be stored in the table or in a query? What is the best way and how is it done?

2-I want to be able to see the names of employees on a project in this project's form

3-And the same for employees: get the number of projects an employee took part in,

4- and a way to display the projects on the employee's form (in a nice concatenation )
    ex: "Project1", "Project2"

I'm still a beginner so please if you are mentioning something a bit advanced, point me to some resource so I could learn it.

Edit: Any help is appreciated, please I don't know where to look. Need some guidance
    Last edited by Immortal; 07-02-2014 at 12:12 PM.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    As a general rule, you do not want to use tables for calculations. Tables contain data that is then used in calculations, when a sum is needed. I can only imagine a Calculation type field in a table being beneficial in a Web/Internet environment. If you are building a Desktop App, try to keep you tables simple and pure. Use only the most basic of data types. Boolean, Text, Number.

As for your other questions, the best thing to do is research, Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and understand the fundamentals. Engineer your tables and queries striving for Normalization.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.