jree3000 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Joining data from table to table, form to form in database design, button on forms

I'd like to get some opinions on the smartest way to design my database before I start off down the wrong path. Please bear with me as I explain this best I can.

My database is supposed to be a system for managing a production process. There are several workflow steps involved in this process. As the product is sent through the various workflow steps there is to be a corresponding form for that step.

Step 1 has it's own table created already consisting of slightly over a hundred fields. This table was used to create a form for Step 1. Now what I'd like to do is create a new table with the information fields necessary for step 2, use that table to create another form. I have to join the two tables, they will have one field that has a unique identifying code (alpha numeric).

Then in the Step 1 form I want to have a button that will open the Step 2 form. It will have to open the Step 2 form up to the specific record that has the same unique identifying code as the record that is showing in Step 1. If there is not already an entry in the Step 2 table with that particular unique identifying code, then it needs to start a new record with that unique identifying code. I hope that makes sense.

Due to the number of fields necessary per step, combining them all into one table is not feasible (there is a great chance I would exceed 255 fields). However I need the data in each step table to relate to the data in the other tables with the same unique identifying code.

I have already created a link between the two tables (Step 1 and Step 2) utilizing the unique identifying code field in the relationships section.

So my question is where do I go from here? Can I simply make a form from the Step 2 table and then program a button on the Step 1 form to access the corresponding Step 2 record (or create a new one if none exist)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Options appear to be:

1. form/subform/subsubform arrangement - up to seven levels I think

2. code opens subsequent forms with filter, something like:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "formname", , , "FK_ID=" Me.ID
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.