FinChase is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Update and append with single query

I currently have an append query where I use a parameter to select rows from a table called tblReaccruals. I then want to update the month in that group of rows and then append them to another table called tblReaccruals_Reversal. For example, I want to select all the rows with "May" as the criteria in the Month field, update the month field to read "June", and then append those rows to tblReaccrual_Reversal.

Currently, the only way I can see to do this is to select my rows and insert them into a temporary table, then run an update query to change the month, then run an append query to add those rows to the appropriate table, and then run a some code to delete the temp table. I can automate all those steps with a macro (someone will be running this process every month), but it still seems cumbersome and I wondered if there was another way that involves fewer steps.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    it's not a update and append (or append and update), it can likely be done with a single append query.

How are you extracting the month from your current recordset? if it's something like monthname(datepart("m", [PayDate])) you can do something like

iif(datepart("m", [PayDate]) < 12, monthname(datepart("m", [Paydate]) + 1), monthname(datepart("m", [PayDate]) - 11))

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.