drnld is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Reports on multiple tables / queries

Hi - I'm trying to develop a way to create a similar looking report as the Excel sheet attached in this zip file using the Access database I created. I was asked to create this AFTER I had already set up the database and now I'm not sure if the structure is correct to do what I need.

I created 3 new tables "Holiday List Table", "Program Year Table" and "School Days Table" and have the look up the program year (PY) in the Program Year Table to link them all. I'm having trouble getting the information to display only the holidays within the particular cycle and only the school days per month for that cycle.

I manually entered the dates int he School Days Table for the day and evening classes since DAY classes meet 6 hours per day 5 days per week and EVE classes meet 4 hours per night for 3 days per week. It gets tricky because the evening classes usually meet Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday except when there is a holiday that week, then they make up the day on Thursday keeping their 3 days per week.

So you can see that this is rather complex to begin with and I'm trying to simplify the school's process using Access. I'm just not sure if I'm going about it the correct way or if there is a better way to do it. I'd appreciate any input. I'm not too familiar with VB code and wondering if that would be something I'd need to get help with to make this work.

Thoughts?
    Dottie
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What exactly are you trying to do, just get a list of holidays within a given cycle?

i.e.
    You have a cycle with an ID of 54 in your table, that cycle runs from 6/11/2014 through 1/6/2015.
    In your Holiday List table you have these holidays between those two dates
    ID Holidays HDate ProgYr
    36 Independence Day Friday, July 04, 2014 15
    37 Labor Day Monday, September 01, 2014 15
    38 Columbus Day Monday, October 13, 2014 15
    39 Veterans Day Tuesday, November 11, 2014 15
    40 Day before Thanksgiving (pm classes) Wednesday, November 26, 2014 15
    41 Thanksgiving Day Thursday, November 27, 2014 15
    42 Day after Thanksgiving (day classes) Friday, November 28, 2014 15
    43 Christmas Eve (pm classes) Wednesday, December 24, 2014 15
    44 Christmas Day Thursday, December 25, 2014 15
    45 Christmas Break Friday, December 26, 2014 15
    46 Christmas Break Monday, December 29, 2014 15
    47 Christmas Break Tuesday, December 30, 2014 15
    48 Christmas Break Wednesday, December 31, 2014 15
    49 New Year's Day Thursday, January 01, 2015 15

If all you want to do is bring these dates onto your report (the way you have it designed you'll likely need 2 subreports on a main report to make it work) here's what you do.

On your form PROGRAM & CYCLES FORM, ceate a text box and name it CURRENTCYCLE
    (just a word of advice, don't use spaces or special characters in your object names, it will cause you no end of grief in the long run use underscore (_) to indicate a space and don't use special characters at all)
    IN the CONTROL SOURCE of CURRENTCYCLE put in =[Cycles Query subform]![id]
    This will adopt the cycle ID from your subform.

Next, create this query

Code:
    SELECT Cycles.ID AS CYCLEID, [Holiday List Table].id AS HOLIDAYID, [Holiday List Table].Holidays, [Holiday List Table].HDate, [Holiday List Table].ProgYr, IIf([hdate] Between [start date] And [end date],1,0) AS Show
    FROM Cycles, [Holiday List Table]
    WHERE (((Cycles.ID)=[forms]![Program & Cycles Form]![CurrentCycle]) AND ((IIf([hdate] Between [start date] And [end date],1,0))=1));
    This is using a cartesian join but I am selecting a single period (the 'current' item in in the subform) and then using a formula (the one labeled SHOW) to determine which holidays fall in that specific cycle's date range.

drnld is offline Novice
    Hi and thank you so much for your input and time.

A few questions:

You said to enter a text box on my Program & Cycles Form for Currentcycle. I'm unclear as to where I'm putting this. Is it first in the query that creates the form or directly on the form?

drnld is offline Novice
    OMGosh! I figured it out!

drnld is offline Novice
    OK - now that I have the query running, I still need to tweak this a bit more. The way it is set up now I have to know what cycle ID to enter in order to find the holidays in that range. It works, but that is not the extent of what I need to report on. I need to be able to enter the exact cycle and department for one particular cycle and have it report EVERYTHING about that cycle including:

Department, Cycle, start date, midpoint date, internship date, end date AND the list of holidays per that cycle.

Then to make matters more difficult, I need it to calculate the # of school days during each month from the beginning of that cycle to the end date separately. For example; July 20 days, August 21 days, etc.

I'm going to try using what you gave me to build what I need, but any help would be appreciated.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    https://www.accessforums.net/forms/f...tml#post234103

This is a thread with a function to count 'working days' minus holidays that should apply to part of your question.

For the others, do you have a more updated version of your database to the last one or is the one attached to this thread still current.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.