billpl is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2002

Old Access 2002 Application

Got a little monster on our hands.

We've taken over the IT of a small company (50 employees, down from about 200 in it's hay day)

One of their main applications is a custom Access 2002 application connected to SQL 2000.

The company's not in a position to replace/rewrite the application, they have way to many other pressing issues,
    but we need to upgrade their workstations and any attempt to run it in any version of Access higher that 2002

.....the application crashes and burns.

In fact just getting the application open to get to the source, you have to do a "drum roll" on <crtl><esc>or the .apd file locks up.
    Worse yet is the old developer team has all but fallen of the face of the earth

Hmm... I'm a SQL/C#/.Net guy from the FoxPro world, Code and Data wise there's nothing I can't handle
    ...but I need a way to get this thing to stabilize and information sources to resolve issues

Any suggestions, recommendations, advice, prayers...would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Bill

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    As you are probably aware, Microsoft has deprecated the ADP and no longer support it with Office 2007. Is it manditory that you replace AccessXP? You can install later versions of Office without including Access.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    I think you could have several different things and it is a matter of isolating...

create quickly a new simple virgin new db - and attempt to connect to the sqlserver; any problems you have here rules out the old application as the problem...07 has a new trust center and so it could be something like this....

02 isn't really that ancient and there are tons of apps still working very solidly - - but moving an 02 to 07 sometimes throws unexpected errors even when just plain vanilla Access and without involving an sqlserver - - sometimes code just doesn't work the same and one has to simply work thru each error.... obviously if it is crashing on open that's pretty bad though....but I guess what I'm saying is that maybe there isn't 1 silver bullet but just a collection of things that have to be resolved....

billpl is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2002

Thumbs up

Thanks guys,

After getting a quick education on ADP apps, we think our best option is to hang with Access 2002 for the time being and make a new rewrite proposal.

No one is really very excited about learning an obsolete technology

Bill

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks for the update. Are you ready to follow the link in my sig and mark this thread as Solved?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.