Silvera is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Question From a form open a 2nd form that is logged to the same record as the previous form

In the first form I list the basic data for a record. From that I use a label as a button to open close the 1st and open a 2nd form for additional addition data [supplemental to the basic data]. My problem is the 2nd form always open at the 1st record. I would like the 2nd form to open at the record that was open the 1st form. The 1st form closes and the additional 2nd from opens. When done entering the data in the 2nd form there is the option to return to either the 1st form or go to the Main Menu

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is the issue? Do you have code? What happens - error message, wrong results, nothing?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The issue is when I click on my "button" the first "basic information" form closes and the second form opens that gathers a different and not always needed information for the same record. I am trying to figure out how to make the second form open at the same record number say 49 instead of 1 [the first record].

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Which field has the unique record ID?

Try something like:

DoCmd.OpenForm "2nd form name", , , "ID = " & Me.ID
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "1st form name", acSaveNo
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    As I said at your twin post of this problem at

http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...-1st-form.html

Since you're doing data entry on a single Record from a single Table, the standard approach would be to use a Tabbed Control, with Controls currently on your first Form on the first Page, and sometimes needed/sometimes not Controls from your second Form on the second Page. No need to open a second Form and the Controls on each Page of the Tabbed Control will always be on the same Record.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Yes, I am trying on two forums. As I noted on the other, It is seldom I need the second form which is why is broke it off of the initial form. I was hoping that I could use a variable I could pass forward to the next form to have it connect to the previous record. Yes it is a matter of real estate.
    My initial form was really crowded and the not every monitor in out firm would be able to deal with the larger form. I try to make my forms easy for the causal user. I am a self trained database developer trying to provide a practical resource in a single point instead of several spread sheets. My actual field is architecture and more specifically construction administration. The volumes paperwork is overwhelming form many my goal is to give them a single point of access for a lot of information.

This sounds like a good approach, I appreciate your assistance. I give it a try later, just got notified I need to start diner. Thanks your help.

Oh, I should have noted that is great that you help on two or more? forums!!!

"Which field has the unique record ID?" - The primary key, a text field since the id is often a mix of numbers and text like "101R1"

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.