daverj is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

ADP catch-22

I'm sure people are sick of questions about converting from .adp, but here's my dilemma:

Around 2005 I set up a Windows server with SQL server, wrote three Access 2003 projects with associated SQL databases. One for receipts, one for orders/invoicing, and one for inventory. I'm not a db programmer, I'm a circuit designer. It took a year or so to get everything just right, but it worked fine eventually. I can't afford always moving to the newest of everything. It worked, so I kept using it.

Maybe a year ago the Windows server died and I moved the SQL databases onto my main (XP) workstation into SQL Express. Worked fine for the past year.

Then a few days ago my workstation decided that it would crash about every 10 minutes. So I bought a new Win7 machine and am trying to get whatever I can working on the new machine. I bought Office Pro 2013 with it, only to discover what you no doubt all know. That it won't open or do anything with .adp files.

From what I've read the normal solution is to use Access 2007 or 2010 to create an .accdb project and import all the contents of the .adp into it, do a lot of fixing, then that can be opened in Access 2013.

I don't have 2007 or 2010. I have 2003 on a machine that will barely run, and 2013 on a new machine. I could probably install my 2003 on another old XP machine I have, with SQL 2k. But that won't export an .accdb, so there doesn't seem much of a point to that.

I did manage to take my SQL 2K database backups and migrate them to SQL Express 2008, and from there to Express 2012. They seem to have survived that, and all tables and stored procedures seem to be intact.

But what can I do about extracting my forms, reports, queries, Access VB functions, etc... from the 2003 .adp projects without having Access 2007 or 2010? (MS doesn't make old versions available for free/trial downloads) Anybody have any suggestions?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I never used ADP so hoping someone else jumps in here.

But I have a maybe dumb question. Can 2003 convert the ADP to a normal mdb? Then 2013 could import objects or just open the mdb and save as accdb.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.