alexandervj is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Proper way to store attachments in a database?

I have attachments I want to store in my database, most are images, some are excel files, etc. I'm sure its better to store a reference to the file instead of the attachment itself. WHats the best way to do something like this? Id like the attachment to still be displayed in the form if its an image

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access has a 2GB size limit. Embedded attachments can chew up that limit. Individual files cannot exceed 256MB

Images (jpg, bmp, png) can easily be dynamically displayed in an Image control. The ControlSource can reference the embedded attachment field or a text field with path to external image file.

I think dynamically displaying other file types is more complicated, but never had to do it. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...13852.aspx#BM4
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hm, I'm only at 156 M but I'm having problems that look like they might be memory problems. My database is compliant to third normal form and its not that complex. The mouse wheel scroll just intermittently stops working every now and then, but if you wait a few minutes it starts working again. Idk what the problem could be

Actually, I'm starting to think its a mouse problem. I had 2 computers connected via a KVM and Access didnt seem to like that. At first I thought was a form/subform problem, but then I noticed it happening in the backend of my database as well.. then I just noticed it in firefox. Pretty sure its a mouse problem. Taking out the KVM. Will update if I have this problem again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.