AW3995 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Using multiple values from the same field in an expression

Hi folks,

Long time listener, first time caller. I have a field with about a dozen records. I want to use the values of these records like so: expression1: [record1] & [record2] & [record3]. I know how to do this with multiple fields, but not with values from the same field.

A simplier solution might also be to somehow append the different values to their own fields and just write the expression like normal, but I don't know how to do that either. Example:

Field1:
    RecordA
    RecordB
    RecordC
    RecordD

If I could somehow turn it into this:

Field1:
    RecordA

Field2:
    RecordB

Field3:
    RecordC

Field4:
    Record D

Thanks in advance for your help. I know there has to be an easy way to do this, but it has so far escaped me.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If a CROSSTAB will not achieve what you want, then

expression1: [record1] & [record2] & [record3]

can be achieved with http://allenbrowne.com/func-concat.html

How many different values are possible in the field? Maybe:

SELECT [some field to group by], Max(IIf([fieldname]="value1", [fieldname], Null)) AS Field1, Max(IIf([fieldname]="value2", [fieldname], Null)) AS Field2, Max(IIf([fieldname]="value3", [fieldname], Null)) AS Field3, Max(IIf([fieldname]="value4", [fieldname], Null)) AS Field4 GROUP BY [some field to group by];
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

AW3995 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    If a CROSSTAB will not achieve what you want, then

expression1: [record1] & [record2] & [record3]

can be achieved with http://allenbrowne.com/func-concat.html

How many different values are possible in the field? Maybe:

SELECT [some field to group by], Max(IIf([fieldname]="value1", [fieldname], Null)) AS Field1, Max(IIf([fieldname]="value2", [fieldname], Null)) AS Field2, Max(IIf([fieldname]="value3", [fieldname], Null)) AS Field3, Max(IIf([fieldname]="value4", [fieldname], Null)) AS Field4 GROUP BY [some field to group by];
    The code on that website scares me.. it looks too easy to mess up. I'll give it a shot later on and report back with how I did. Maybe there is a way to do it in crosstab, but I haven't figured out how. Perhaps someone could point me to an example?

Also, I have no idea what the values will be so I can't use your example above. I did consider something like that.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If data were like:
    ID GrpID Data Seq
    1 4 abc 1
    2 2 def 2
    3 2 ghi 1
    4 4 jkl 1
    5 3 mno 2
    6 2 pqr 3
    7 1 stu 1

The Seq field could be use as the column header criteria in CROSSTAB. Use First() function on the Data field. The resulting output would be:
    GrpID 1 2 3
    1 stu
    2 def ghi pqr
    3 mno
    4 abc jkl

The only other option I know is VBA code writing records to temp table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you have an upper limit of 12 items (RECORDA - RECORDD in your original post) per group you might be able to get away with a cartesian query made into a crosstab query as june suggests. If your data is NOT limited to a very select list for your 12 fields (as in June's example) it would not work. In other words if you are going to have a maximum of 12 records, and there are only 12 possible values that can't be duplicated within a group of your data, you're in business.

AW3995 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    If data were like:
    ID GrpID Data Seq
    1 4 abc 1
    2 2 def 2
    3 2 ghi 1
    4 4 jkl 1
    5 3 mno 2
    6 2 pqr 3
    7 1 stu 1

The Seq field could be use as the column header criteria in CROSSTAB. Use First() function on the Data field. The resulting output would be:
    GrpID 1 2 3
    1 stu
    2 def ghi pqr
    3 mno
    4 abc jkl

The only other option I know is VBA code writing records to temp table.

I tried this, but I have two problems: I only have two fields of info and if I use First it will take out duplicates (which I need). Like I said, I played around for a long time with crosstab, and while I can get very close I just can't get it to do exactly what I want. I'm about to try the code and see how that does.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.