redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Application just stopped working for 70% of its user base, I cannot find the reason..

I have an application that "syncs" with a ticket system, for alot of users this feature has just stopped working... When I try to read values of this ticketing system webpage, I get Access denied errors..

Code:
    Debug.Print oie.Document.frames(0).Document.all.Item("X5").innerhtml
    This produces error " Run-time error '-2147024891 (80070005)': Access is denied. "

So I initially thought it might be a cross framing scripting issue, but if thats the case, why is the application working for half the user base? Even across my 2 computers, one machine is working great and the other isn't.

Then I thought well maybe it is a windows 7 patch that disabled this ability.. but I have users on windows 7 who are still able to use the application without any issues...

So I am really having a hard time isolating this issue.. I don't know what other things I should be checking...

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You mentioned that you checked for a patch. I would be looking for an update to IE on the machines with the symptom. If you navigate to the page where the element should be, using one of the problem machines, can you find the element name "X5" ? It should be in the first iFrame of the main body of the page.

Also, why are you using
    Document.all.Item("X5").innerhtml

I would imagine something like
    Document.all.name("X5").innerhtml

or
    Document.all.id("X5").innerhtml

would be more appropriate
    Last edited by June7; 04-18-2014 at 03:33 PM.

ipisors is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I would like to clarify that I 100% understand what have been the results of your debugging efforts so far.

Are you saying that at the point that the error occurs, you are certain that it is definitely on this line:
    Code:
    Debug.Print oie.Document.frames(0).Document.all.Item("X5").innerhtml
    ?

If not, please debug to find out which line of code specifically is barfing and let us know.

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Yea that was the line.. I was constantly getting access denied error... I knew it couldn't be a cross frame scripting issue.. HOWEVER this did work.. turns out the website(intranet) uses a pac file.. and windows has confessed to screwing the pooch on that subject.. read this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908356

Thanks ItsMe, I went right after IE after your post and that led me down a very convoluted rabbit hole where I found my answer.. Appreciate everything as always.

The funny thing, I didn't have to change one single line of code and everyone is back and running again..

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I guess I could have mentioned to compare patch install dates with the date the symptom first appeared. Sorry you spent so much time on it. So the exception was happening because of security settings with IE? I can see Access creating an exception if there was interference with the .Navigation method.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.