Lynn Cohen is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Table relationships in back end *and* front end of split database

Hi,

I'm a non-programmer using Access 2010 and working in a multi-user environment. The database is split. The "master" files of front end and back end live on a network drive and each user has a copy of the front end in their home drive. The database has five tables: Course, Rooms, Sched, Times, and Faculty.

The table relationships in the "master" back end file look fine, and the relationships with referential integrity are set to cascade updates. Those relationships are: Faculty table to Sched table and Times table to Sched table.

But, updates in the Faculty table and the Times table don't cascade into the Sched table. So I started looking into the database design to see if I could figure out why.

I wouldn't have thought table relationships would be defined in a front-end file, but found out differently. The "master" front end file has a different set of table relationships than the "master" back end file. The relationships with referential integrity are not set to cascade updates, and are not editable. The attachment shows both.

I didn't design this dbase and have no idea why both front end and back end have table relationships defined, but I'm guessing it's the cause of my "updates don't cascade" problem. So my questions are:

1. Am I correct that the front end shouldn't have table relationships in it?
    2. If I am correct, how do I safely get rid of them? Is it as simple as deleting the tables from the table relationship window in the "master" front end file?

Thanks in advance!
    Lynn
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    In my experience:

1. Yes

2. Yes
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.