tlozoot is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Database Design - A table for each client, or one table for them all?

I'm designing a database to hold client information. Initially, I thought it would be obvious that I would simply need one table for all of the clients, but I'm starting to think that I'm going to need multiple tables for each client now. Here are the needs of my database, and maybe you can give me some advice here!
    All of the following will be done via Forms when it is finished.

• Each client has personal information stored. Name, religion, DOB etc.
    • Each client has a series of associated contact numbers. So there could be multiple contact numbers for each client. For example: GP number, next of kin number, dentist... I need the user to be able to load up the clients page (form) and have access to all their contact details. Currently this is a lookup to another table that holds such information. It's incredibly user friendly for finding all of a clients contact info, as the user can just click the drop down button and have it readily available.
    • Each client has a list of documents they are required to have on file. At the moment this exists as a series of Yes/No fields on the table. I want the user to be able to check what documents the client has, and then click the document name (currently the field name, eg. 'Recovery Plan') and for that to take them to the completed or in-progress document that is correct for the client whose records they are currently browsing

Currently the only way I can think for this to work would be to create a new table for each client. Each table would use exactly the same fields as one another, but it would allow me to cater the hyperlinks / contact information lookup, so that they are correct for each client. It would be incredibly difficult for new clients to be added to the system, though. I can't seem to find a way for Access to change the hyperlinks/lookups for different records though.

Any advice greatly appreciated! Let me know if any of that is poorly explained!

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    There is a process to designing a database.You start with a clear and concise description of your business.
    Here is a tutorial that describes the process, and has an example that you can work through and has a solution.
    The sooner you learn the process, the more comfortable you will be with database.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by orange; 04-07-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling

ButtonMoon is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tlozoot View Post
    Each table would use exactly the same fields as one another
    If nothing else, that fact alone should tell you that all clients belong one table. You don't have to know anything about hyperlinks to know that.

It's not feasible to do detailed design through an online forum. I suggest you approach your design problem from first principles. Apply some formal analysis and some proven techniques like Normal Form and Orthogonal Design.

If you aren't familiar with database design principles then take a course or study a good book. I hesitate to recommend anything specific without knowing what level of experience you already have. Orange suggested something for you to read, but just to be clear about this: building a database is not like baking a cake. There is no one correct "cookbook" process and you cannot expect to learn about database design just by following a few numbered steps!

xkater is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    There are numerous 'example' databases on Microsoft's OFFICE website - the classic is NorthWind, and can give you many ideas regarding transactional databases, but for your (simpler) purposes I would try "Desktop Contacts"
    or any of the other "DeskTop . . ." models

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...aspx?qu=access

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.