corptkm is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Subtract Number then Place in field in sequence

I'm starting with a number 5500

I have a field named "Prev_ADSK" If that value is True

I would like to have that number placed it in field "EMP_ID" in another table.

Example: if a project has 10 employees. And 5 of them have a true value in "Prev_ADSK" (text field).

The number 5500 would be placed in the first employee record in field "EMP_ID". The second employee with true in "Prev_ADSK" would get the next number 5499 and the next employee would get 5498 and so on. Once all of the True "Prev_ADSK" fields have been placed. I would like to subtract 3 additional numbers from the final number.

Example: If the last number is 5490. I would like to subtract 3 numbers from that number in case we hire 1-3 more employees and need those numbers for the new employees at a later date.

How would I start this procedure? Do I have another table that list the numbers?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Essentially duplicate thread https://www.accessforums.net/access/...ble-42729.html

Whether updating existing records or populating a new record, this is fairly complicated coding. For updating existing records, could involve opening a recordset filtered to Prev_ADSK = True, looping through the records, determining next value, populating field and repeat. Not a task I wish to tackle for you from scratch.

If you have little to no VBA programming knowledge, this will be a significant challenge and you have a lot to learn. Do research on opening and manipulating recordsets. When you have attempted code and encounter issues, post for analysis.

Generating unique identifiers is a common topic in forum.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.