tkosel is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Alternate back color and conditional formatting not working correctly

I have a simple Access 2013 application with a simple report in it. In a group header section, I have some fields to which I am applying conditional formatting. I also want to have alternate row colors. When I have both of these conditions in effect, the report looks like the following. Notice the misalignment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlternateRowColorsCapture.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	15928
    If I open the report by double clicking on it, it opens as expected, but some data is missing. If you open it in design view, then choose print preview, it is goofed up. Also, if you open it by right clicking and choosing Print Preview, it is goofed up. Report view is OK, but also missing data. Regular print to the printer is also goofed up.

Further more, if I remove conditional formatting from the ComplianceStatus control (rightmost column), it works just fine. Seems like there might be a problem with conditional formatting and the alternate row color feature?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you want to provide db, I can test in Access 2010.

Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7,

Thanks for your quick response. I have attached the stripped down DB.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Confirmed, same issue with Access 2010 for both reports.

What data is missing?

I deleted the format rule for the Frequency control and it displays properly.

I am starting to think this is a bug. The Compliant box conditional formatting just won't work with the AlternateBackColor setting in PrintPreview.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Confirmed, same issue with Access 2010 for both reports.

What data is missing?

I deleted the format rule for the Frequency control and it displays properly.

I am starting to think this is a bug. The Compliant box conditional formatting just won't work with the AlternateBackColor setting in PrintPreview.
    Thanks for your response. I am not concerned about my statement about data missing. I think I have resolved that maybe. I know that if you delete the conditional formatting for the Frequency controls and other controls that have conditional formatting, it does display correctly. Thanks for verifying that. I would agree, think it is a bug, along with many others I have found in 2007, 2010 and 2013. Think they are moving backwards! I have posted this to MSDN forums and they do not acknowledge that the two wont work together. In fact, they claim it should work.

See the following post(s)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...5-c7c650bb4d3e

June7 is online now VIP
    I just tested conditional formatting in my db. With and without group header as well as with and without AlternateBackColor. It is working properly. So not a bug. Something about your report.

I built a report on your IPFeatureChild table without any calculated fields in RecordSource or expressions in textboxes and set a conditional format on the FeatureDescription field. Works properly with AlternateBackColor.

Suggest there is something about all the calculations to split the Frequency field and/or the Count() expressions in report textboxes along with subsequent calcs using those data that is interfering with PrintPreview. Perhaps the report renders before the calcs can complete. Frequency should really be 2 fields in table.

I found a FeatureDescription that has a leading space: " MATERIAL TITANIUM GRADE 2 PER ASTM B348 AND ASTM F67:"

June7,

I think your first assessment about it being a bug is more correct. I say this, because if I turn one or the other off, (Alternate Row color or Conditional Formatting) it works fine. The report renders just as I expect it to with all the calculations working properly. I realize there are some things there that are not good, i.e. the frequency field, but I am stuck with it as is.

I guess I will just have to go without Alternate row color, as the conditional formatting is more important.

The idea of this report is to count the individual measurements for each feature, report on that number, compare it to the requirement and report on whether the requirement has been met. That is why the detail is hidden and the frequency field is parsed out. 1/100 means that 1% of the parts made need to be inspected. Only fractional frequencies are evaluated, 3/Shift is ignored and considered compliant.

Thanks for your suggestions.

June7 is online now VIP
    Could be bug. You are trying to display alternating row color in the group header which is not working with textbox conditional formatting. It does work fine for the Detail section.

If you could do a query that summarizes the data and use that query as the RecordSource and display those records in detail section instead of the raw data, you should get the appearance you want.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.