jimbob is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Quote Database

I'm putting together a quoting database and I was looking for some advice on the best structure.

There will be a table for each of my suppliers that contains "Part" numbers, description, manufacturer, pricing.

I would like to be able to configure "Kits", which are made up of a number of parts from the supplier tables.

The main use of the database will be to create quotations, which are made up of a number of "Kits", and also "Parts" directly from the supplier tables.

To start off - Im wondering should each Kit have its own table, or should I make one large table that has all of the Kits in it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    It really isn't a question that readers can answer.
    The database should be designed so that it matches and supports your business. And you know that business better than anyone else.

My suggestion is that you write a 5-6 line description of your business. Try to identify the "things" involved and how they relate to each other.

Here's an example from RogersAccessLibrary

Narrative
    ZYX Laboratories requires an employee tracking database. They want to track information about employees, the employee's job history, and their certifications. Employee information includes first name, middle initial, last name, social security number, address, city, state, zip, home phone, cell phone, email address. Job history would include job title, job description, pay grade, pay range, salary, and date of promotion. For certifications, they want certification type and date achieved.
    An employee can have multiple jobs over time, (ie, Analyst, Sr. Analyst, QA Administrator). Employees can also earn certifications necessary for their job.
    Here is the tutorial that goes with the example. It leads you through the steps to a well designed database structure.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.