Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    StephenB is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Hi Trevor,
    That is great work, it is nearly there.
    A couple of questions;
    Does the following concatenate the fields into a field called 'Your_Results'
    me.Your_Result = [Genus] & " " & [Spicies] & " " & [NameOtherValue]

and can I make the next field FamilyID instead of back to Genus?
    docmd.gotocontrol "Genus" ' back to the start

And lastly the field 'NameOtherValue' does not always have data entered, when it is not entered and i go to the next record it locks Genus and species fields and only 'NameOtherValue' is ready for data input.

Thinking outside the square, can the field that concatenates all three fields only update once the three fields have been filled or tabbed through? This would also probably stop the underlying issue?

Really appreciate your expertise.

Regards
    Stephen

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I still suggest don't bother with VBA and just concatenate the fields with expression in query or textbox or even in a calculated field in table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Does the following concatenate the fields into a field called 'Your_Results'
    YES me.Your_Result = [Genus] & " " & [Spicies] & " " & [NameOtherValue]
    and can I make the next field FamilyID instead of back to Genus?
    YES docmd.gotocontrol "FamilyID" ' back to the startI only did this to force entry into the next field, you can enable/ disable them as you like, But moving to another field is the easiest, then disable NameOtherValue and goto another field. ensures only one entry into your_result. Perhaps have a button to re-enable them if you want to change the entry, or put -
    me.Your_Result = [Genus] & " " & [Spicies] & " " & [NameOtherValue] on the onclick of a button to place the result

And lastly the field 'NameOtherValue' does not always have data entered, when it is not entered and i go to the next record it locks Genus and species fields and only 'NameOtherValue' is ready for data input.
    this may need abutton to put the result into your_result. If aay fields are empty.

YES see above red text
    Thinking outside the square, can the field that concatenates all three fields only update once the three fields have been filled or tabbed through? This would also probably stop the underlying issue?

see how you go...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.