RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Form New Record Question

I have an Access 2010 Form that opens to a new record per user request. The issue is that while that is appropriate 95% of the time occasionally they need to edit an existing record prior to entering a new record. In those cases they get an Error Message because a required field is null. I have to hit the esc key several times before the record will change without the error. Is there any way to do that automatically? Or at the least put a command button that will cancel the new record and go to an existing record?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why is the 'required' error happening? Did user initiate input in the new record and then decide to abandon? Why is new record being saved if no data entry was done? Why would an existing record need to be edited? How does existing record impact creating new record?

Yes, a command button could cancel the new record and go to existing record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Don't know why the required error is happening. No the user did nothing the form automatically opens to a new record. The new record is not being saved.

For the majority of records they would not need to be edited. However, a little background. The database is for tracking Wellness Surveys. when a Senior patient goes to their PCP the first time in any year this wellness survey is filled out by that Doctor and sent in. The data is then entered into this DB. 80 percent are never touched again but if certain items are missed either by the Dr. filling out the form wrong or not performing those items. The Data is entered and a letter is sent to determine if those surveys were filled out wrong or the items not done. When the Doctor responds then those items must be edited in the existing record and only when all fields are verified is the record considered valid and is displayed in various required reports.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Just re-read my previous post and left a little out.

The user receives those surveys and then enters them into the DB. Normally they have a stack between 30-50 per day. A Report is generated each morning displaying those records that are incomplete (Valid Field = No) The first thing they do is check for responses from the Dr. for the missing data. If they have it they open the DB to correct the existing records first. Generally they get 2-3 per week of corrections. the 30-50 new surveys they get per day come from various sources and can come in throughout the day. They do have other duties to perform so most of the time they open the DB enter what they need and close the db to do other things. That's why the Data Entry form automatically goes to a new record most of the time that's what they're doing the issue only happens when it's not a new record. Also when this does happen the number of times you have to hit the esc key varies. I have no idea why. Will work on the command button. Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Just opening a form to new record and then moving from that record should not generate error unless data was input to a field either manually or with code. Either initiates record edit.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    That's what I thought but when I open the DB and the only thing I do is use the mouse to select on the previous record arrow at the bottom left of the form it generates that error. Hitting the escape key 1 time doesn't do anything. Hitting the escape key several times finally allows me to change records. Although the one thing I did notice is that if I hit the escape key slowly and deliberately it doesn't do anything. The error continuously comes up. hitting the escape key quickly and repeatedly does work eventually.

June7 is offline VIP
    I tested with my db and cannot replicate the issue. That means would have to review your db if you want to provide.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.