vad77 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Puzzled - Form controls stop working

Every once in a while my database goes stupid for lack of a better term. I have a form on my database with several controls ranging from combo boxes to buttons. What is happening all controls will stop working, get an error message stating there could be a problem with my expressions. At first I just tried doing a compact and repair but that doesn't seem to correct the problem. What I need to do is to go into design mode click on some controls and then save the form. Once I do that the form controls start working again. I have no idea why this is happening and would hate for it happen when on a web conference on this database.

Any idea why this is happening?

Edit 1433: This happens everytime I open the database. I inluded a screenshot of the error which happens on all controls. In this instance it was my Region combo box which has an after update event to requery my Site combo box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dbError_31214.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	15726

Vito

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Does this happen on other computers? Is this a split design or all-in-one? Are there multiple users?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

It currently isn't split but plan to split in the future. Only one user, me, on my local machine. Do not have another pc to try. I am still in the build phase.
    Now I mostly knew what you next repsonse might have been and that was to upload a copy of my db. So I copied my database, renamed it and moved it to my desktop. I then opened it and was going to start deleting data when I figured I give it a try and sure enough I did not receive the error. So now I am figuring maybe there is something with the path of the original folder so I moved the copied db back into the original foler, no error. I renamed the orginal to OLD then renamed the copied db and I am going to use that one. But I still would like to know why that happened and it doesn't happen on the copy. June7 I would like your feedback and let me know if you want a copy of the original db.

Thanks again!!
    Vito

June7 is offline VIP
    I have no idea what caused the issue and if I can't replicate it, there is no issue to analyse.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I have no clue either. But thanks for your time June7, again.

@June7 I am not sure if you are going to see this post since the thread has been marked as solved but I figured out why this issue happened. I ran into this problem again today where things just stopped working. In short I am thinking it is the way my company has the the laptop configured. My fix today wasn't as easy at the last time by just copying and renaming. You see I have been backing up my databases with FBackup to an external drive. When I open the last backup which was this morning (3/31) from the external drive it worked fine but when I restored it from the external drive to my local drive it stopped working. In short I copied the db to an external drive and then back to my local drive and all is good. You see my company has the main hard drive partitioned. All my data resides on the D:/ drive which is kind of hidden. Meaing if I go to My Computer I just see the C:/ drive and my external drives. Why they did this I have no clue. The other item that got me thinkning this partition s causing the problem is that I could never get windows backup to work, that's why I got a 3rd party software. To test this I changed the the backup to backup a folder on my C;/ drive and it worked. What my next step is to move all my databases to a folder on my C:/ drive. I just thought you would lke to know what the cause was and why you could not duplicate the problem.

Vito

June7 is offline VIP
    Thank you for sharing. The info might help someone else faced with same issue.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.