Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003

Cool An Answer & Solution for you

Hi I have had time to investigate this now and come to the conclusion that it cannot be done the way you are trying.

What I have done is tried all of what you have and it wont work like that.

So I have tried to do this another way, 2 buttons on form 2 lines of code each -

What this does is open the form in print preview and then opens the page setup dialog options to adjust margins, size...
    OR opens the form in print preview and then opens the print dilalog options to adjust copies, orientation...

Print Preview, with Page Setup dialog open
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 8, , acMenuVer70 ' opens form in print preview mode
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 7, , acMenuVer70 ' opens page seup options dialog
    OR
    Print Preview, with Print dialog open
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 8, , acMenuVer70 ' Open form in print preview mode
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 9, , acMenuVer70 ' Open print dialog options dialog

You can't do both at the same time!
    OK. it seems you can...!!!!!!!!!!!
    this opens the form in print preview, and shows the page setup options, when you close the page setup options dialog you then see the print dialog. it's one way anyway

DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 8, , acMenuVer70 ' opens form in print preview mode
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 9, , acMenuVer70 ' Open print dialog options dialog
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 7, , acMenuVer70 ' opens page setup options dialog

Last edited by pbaldy; 03-15-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Deleted attachment per OP request

data808 is offline Noob
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Thanks Trevor40. I'm sure your solution is as good as it gets. I just find it odd that microsoft would not look into this issue since they are the ones who provide the setup button to show up and then not make available based on even my most stripped down database. I seriously just created a brand spanking new database just to make those 2 print buttons and they still didn't work. So I guess this thread will finally come to an end. Although it was not the answer I had hoped for, it will have to to. I want to thank all who put the effort forth to try and figure this out. This drove me nuts for a while but I think I can live without it. Its time to move on. Thanks again.

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK. it seems you can...!!!!!!!!!!!
    this opens the form in print preview, and shows the page setup options, when you close the page setup options dialog you then see the print dialog. it's one way anyway

DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 7, , acMenuVer70 ' opens page setup options dialog

Windows XP Access 2003
    Well here ya go, this does it for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Private Sub Command1345_Click()
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 9, , acMenuVer70 ' Open print dialog
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 7, , acMenuVer70 ' closes page setup and just leaves print dialog open, and then you CAN click print setup
    ' you don't see the page setup until you click on the button! it opens and closes.
    End Sub

data808 is offline Noob
    Sorry trevor40,

I just tested your code with a brand new db. I get this error:

Run-Time error '3270':
    Property Not Found

So I click on Debug and it points to this line:

This was done while running in POP UP and MODAL. So then I tried turning those off. And this is what happens.

I click the Print button and it changes to print preview mode. Then I click on setup in the dialogue window and I get the classic error message that started this whole thread in the first place. (This action can't be carried out...........blah blah blah) I click OK then close the dialogue window then the debug window comes up with:

Run-time error '2501':
    The DoMenuItem action was canceled.

And it points to this line when I click Debug:
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, 0, 9, , acMenuVer70 ' Open print dialog

We should really just drop this issue already. Haha its worthless and pointless. But by the sound of it, it seems you got this to work so thats good. Right now I am on a 4th different copy of MS Office and am still getting this problem so I'm pretty sure my bad copy theory is not holding up as a possibility unless I just so happen to try it on a bad batch of MS Office copies from the factory which is pretty much impossible. Like I said before, its ok, I will accept that there is no fix and I will work around this problem the best way I can.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It's not your copy of MS Office. I already noted in post 24 that I get the same error.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003

Cool This has a mind of it's own

This has a mind of it's own. Works then doesn't, I tried this just now and it works fine, test the attached file if it works for you, import you db into and then try again.

db1 test.mdb

data808 is offline Noob
    Maybe its your file extension of .mdb

Isn't this an old format that is no longer supported by 2013 Office? I don't have my computer with Access right now so I will have to wait and test it when I get home. But right now I am working with .accdb file extensions so I wonder if .mdb is the culprit?

While we are on the subject, I found out that 2013 Office also does not have the converting feature to change the file extension from .accdb to .accde anymore. Unless I am missing something it seems that .accde is also a dieing format.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.