Dispensing with temporary tables (and specifically, adding fields to recordset)

In some forms and routines I create where I need to manipulate tables, I use "temporary" tables as a support (actually, they are permanently stored as objects in the database). However, I'm under the impression that they are unefficient, an instant tell of a novice programmer and besides they "contaminate" the schema without adding any real information, so I'm looking forward to implementing all my forms and subs without them. What is the standard way to do it? How do you guys do without them?

I'm trying using ADO recordsets, but I'm stumbled into a roadblock because sometimes I need to have additional temporary fields in order to mark groups of records within the recordset, but so far I can only either use all existing fields from tables or make and entirely new recordset without a source (can't add fields once the recorset is open). Do I have to create a new recordset and populate it manually row by row? It seems like the only solution to me right now, but I can't help feeling there must be a shorter way to accomplish it.

(I'm using ADO because I know it better than DAO, but if there's a way to proceed with DAO I'm willing to learn).

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I use 'temp' tables for several procedures because it really is the only way I could figure to get the report output I want from the data structure. Inefficient or not, they get the job done.

I know nothing about 'new recordset without a source'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.