Rocker_C is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Web Query - How to take information from sites not in HTML tables

Hi Guys

Im looking to design a database during my time studying at college for an assignment I have on pricing of materials etc. I need a list of easily accessible options to choose when designing, and at the moment this takes a long time to collect all of the relevant information to formulate a costing for a project.

For example I go to a site named "Wickes" and try to search for red engineering brick. It tells me the price per item is 0.40 GBP but I know that the price of that item can change from time to time. I would like to have a database which takes that into consideration since it is important to identify a very specific price in my industry (Architecture).

I tried the data tab in excel to do this by asking to locate this information from a web source (which is the site where it is located) however, the problem being that the information does not seem to be located within a HTML table, making the grab from the internet of this data very difficult. How do I get around this issue? What it usually does is it will give me those icons to grab that information, but it does so by grabbing the entire page.

The other thing I would like to understand is it possible to update this information automatically lets say.. each time I open this document? This would ensure that I was able to keep the data current enough to price correctly.

And finally.. If I have a bunch of web sources who are all selling bricks at different prices and I would like to know which one is offering that product at the cheapest, is there a way I can grab that information and somehow prioritize it to show within my database? Sort of.. conditioning the information I am grabbing so that it shows the best price possible?

Thank you

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Yes you can do all of that with Access and have it automated so you could review the results as you wake up with your morning coffee.

Writing the code is tedious. You will need to be familiar with some advanced VBA techniques. Here is a small example of parsing data from a webpage.

https://www.accessforums.net/program...tml#post202672

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.