reception is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

HR Database/ Access 2000/ Long time since i used Access.

Good Afternoon everyone,

I am trying to set up a database to record information about our employees. I have a table set up with all the demographic information about the employee for example name, address, phone number, position, and so on. I need to set up different information about the employee for example events, attendance, and vacation. I set up another table to track different employee events and i created a relationship with there last name but when i tried to type in more than one event for the same employee it say that it had a duplicate key. Please help. It has been a long time since I have set up a database from scratch but with your help it will come back to me. I really would appreciate all your help.

Thank You,

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    In the table there are settings for the indexed property for your fields. If your field is indexed and will not allow for duplicates, you will need a unique value in this field for each record/row.

Your Primary Key should be indexed and not allow for duplicates. Any foreign key fields should be indexed and allow duplicates.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Depending on the size and complexity of your DB you may want to dedicate a table to each event type, ie a table for vacations and a table for attendance. Another option would be to have an event table that could log many types of events. For instance, every time an employee came to work, the DB would create a record in the event table. This record would include the category or event type.

Regardless, you want to use number data types to join your tables. These relations should be based on Key values. An event table would store the value from Primary Key fields in its respective Foreign Key fields. Primary Key fields are often Autonumber data types and Foreign Key fields are often Long Integer data types.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Work through the tutorials at Rogers Access Library http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/f...s_forum46.html

This will help you design a normalized dB. (maybe refresh your understanding on normalization).
    Also, use a naming convention. Be aware of reserved words in access (do not use them).

Object names should only contain letters, numbers and possible the underscore. NO spaces or special characters.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.