jazzin is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Trying to match a column from one table to a column in another

hi all, I have a table from a vendor that contains addresses and street names and I have our table which is a master table that contains all their records plus some others. I have created a query to show all the records that match and all the records that don't match. Most of the records that don't match are bc of misspellings. This is what I have so far. SELECT ADDRESSL.ACCOUNT_NO, ADDRESSL.LASTNAME, ADDRESSL.FIRSTNAME, ADDRESSL.LUTCHER_AD, ADDRESSL.NOTES, ADDRESSL.CITY, ADDRESSL.STATE, ADDRESSL.ZIPCODE, ADDRESSL.STREETNO, ADDRESSL.STREETNAME, ADDRESSL.PO_BOXFROM ADDRESSL LEFT JOIN Address1 ON ADDRESSL.STREETNAME=Address1.ST_LABELWHERE (((Address1.ST_LABEL) Is Null));I want to add another field to this table which contains the corrections for them to update on their end but am not having any luck in doing this. If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Find Unmatched queries can only tell you that there is data in a table not in another table. How do you expect to relate records when data doesn't match? Unless both tables have the ACCOUNT_NO that can be used to link the records and compare the respective addresses side-by-side, correcting data will be a tedious and time-consuming case-by-case examination of records.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jazzin is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Find Unmatched queries can only tell you that there is data in a table not in another table. How do you expect to relate records when data doesn't match? Unless both tables have the ACCOUNT_NO that can be used to link the records and compare the respective addresses side-by-side, correcting data will be a tedious and time-consuming case-by-case examination of records.
    Thanks for the reply. STREETNAME in their table has misspellings in it. I would like to add our streetnames, which are correct, to this table but only the names that match the misspelled names in their table. Is their anyway to do this with a LIKE statement or using a wildcard?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Pattern matching would be unreliable. What part of which string should be used to match with the other string? Unless you want to write code that matches letter by letter until deviation is encountered, it really won't work. And doesn't matter how thorough you think the procedure is, won't catch them all.

Really need to link on unique ID.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jazzin is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Pattern matching would be unreliable. What part of which string should be used to match with the other string? Unless you want to write code that matches letter by letter until deviation is encountered, it really won't work. And doesn't matter how thorough you think the procedure is, won't catch them all.Really need to link on unique ID.
    OK Thanks, It was only 535 records that didn't match. I just exported it out to EXCEL and manually copied and pasted the correct spellings into the new field. Just was wondering if there was a way to do this through a query.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.