neuhur is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Updating Existing Form With New Fields From Table

Hello Everyone,

I am new to MSA and need your assistance!

I have an existing form that allows the user to enter data on that form and update the associated table with that data. I was just informed that I need to add additional fields to the form which in turn will add additional fields to the associated table.

What is the process/procedures for me to update the table with the new fields and then get those new fields updated on the existing form?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Neuhur

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by neuhur View Post
    ...I am new to MSA and need your assistance!

I have an existing form that allows the user to enter data on that form and update the associated table with that data. I was just informed that I need to add additional fields to the form which in turn will add additional fields to the associated table....
    It sounds as though your database tables are not normalized. If your tables are normalized there, most likely, would not be a need for you to programmatically change the structure of your tables.

Perhaps you can create a new table and append records to the new table instead of creating new columns in a parent table.

neuhur is offline Novice
    Thanks for the info!

June7 is offline VIP
    Modification of data structure in a functional db should be rare. Maybe now they want to document birthdate. This is a legitimate design modification and not worth coding, just manually open objects in design view and make necessary edits.

As an example, if you are asked to create a field for each fiscal year, then that is not a normalized structure and will likely cause lots of problems.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    As June7 suggested, there are valid reasons for doing this, as well as invalid reasons; you probably need to give us a more detailed explanation of what is involved, here, so that we can advise you better. But in general, to modify a Form to add new Fields from the RecordSource can be either a one-step or a two-step procedure.

1. If the Form is based directly on a Table, you can go on the Ribbon to Design - Tools - Add Existing Fields and grab the new Fields and place them on the Form.
    2. If the Form is based on a Query, you have to go into Design View for the Query and add the new Fields to it, then repeat #1, above

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.