ayupchap is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Adding drop down lists after making the database?

Hi all,

So I have made a large database and all is working great minus the fact that I now have to limit what people can type in. I went back to the table and created lookup lists but this did not make any changes to my forms. Please tell me there is another way of putting these lists into the fields without having re-make them all, there's so many. Can I add it somehow into a particular area in the properties list in design view? I only need to add options for 1,2,3 and 4.

Really appreciate any help you can give me.

Regards

Scott

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't understand what you are working with. I think I understand that you need to add options/rows to a combobox or a listbox.

Did you create lookup fields in a table? Are you trying to add rows to a combobox?

June7 is offline VIP
    Modifying the field properties in table will not change the already created controls on form unless you instruct the db to make global change. When you change property in table, is there a box to the left with a lightning symbol? Click it and make a choice.

Recommend not creating lookups in table, especially if the lookup has alias http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ayupchap is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for the responses ItsMe, I have made my entire database then got asked to turn most of my fields I have made in my forms into dropdown selectable boxes. I thought to do this I just change the fields in table view to a lookup table but when I did this and saved the table and went back to the form no change had occurred. How do I get this to happen?

June7 thanks so much again for your help really appreciate it. Are you able to explain how I make the global change please. I cannot see any lightning symbol. Also is there a better way to create a selectable list that's easy in access other than the lookup table?

Thanks again for both of your help

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    My preference is to place my data into tables. In a case where only a few records would ever be created, I still prefer using tables. Most people will agree that lookup fields in tables are a bad idea.

Here is some additional discussion on the topic.
    https://www.accessforums.net/access/better-38295.html

June7 is offline VIP
    The lightning symbol shows immediately after make the property edit in table. It's a one-time only offer. Once the table is saved with the edits, the symbol goes away. So edit the property again and see if the symbol shows up. BTW, it's not offered for all of the properties. However, the RowSource is one that will present the symbol.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.