Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by katmomo5 View Post
    ...Multiuser is my issue...
    If you did not write VBA the issue may be with Macros and versions of Access the workstations are using. Macros are not know for being backwards compatible. Also, it is fine to have an accde as a front end file. The distinction for the front end file should be linking to a back end. The back end is where the tables are.

katmomo5 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    All workstations have Office 2010...

Good to know about the accde being okay.

When splitting the db, and it says the end user needs full access to the backend, does that mean allowing the end user "Full Control? and not just read and write permissions? I am looking at the folder security properties for the folder where the backend is located.

The Macro Single Step message tells me
    Macro Name:
    staffInterface : nsgrptfrm : OnClick : Embedded Macro
    Condition:
    (blank)
    Action Name:
    OpenForm
    Arguments:
    frm24hrNsg, Form, , , , Normal
    Error Number: 2950

Permissions will need to be adjusted to allow read and write. I believe that will be enough for most scenarios. You will have to test to see what the minimum is, unless someone else can chime in here. If you are using macros you will need to adjust the workstations to accept the server location as well as the FE file as a trusted location. You can do this via RegEdit, VBA to edit registry, or a full version of access has an interface to add trusted locations to the local machine.

To add/check trusted locations to the local machine, where would I go?

All locations are trusted, I am told.

I explained three approaches to edit the registry.
    Here are some resources - Google trusted locations Access 2007
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010341741.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WtGmgcTXYo

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=228529

Here is a DB I put together that will do the work for you. You could possibly incorporate this code into your app to automatically edit registry.
    https://www.accessforums.net/program...tml#post197578

Thanks, I will give it a try!

I don't know what that means. You need to make sure that the back end file is in a directory that all of the users have appropriate permissions to. You need to make sure each workstation has the correct Registry Keys and Registry values for the "Trusted Locations" thing. After that, if you are having troubles still, take the next step.

Sorry, I posted that before the page loaded with your response.

The backend is in a directory that the users do have read/write permissions to.

'You need to make sure each workstation has the correct Registry Keys and Registry values for the "Trusted Locations" thing.'
    - Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this. We have 300 workstations, but usually only about 40-50 users on at one time. I don't know how to check the registry for each workstation. Just a nurse thrown into a project that I didn't know what I was getting into. I will find out.

Your help is really appreciated.

The user will be prompted to accept the risk of using the file if their registry is not adjusted/edited. If they click OK the FE file will open. I believe there could possibly be a problem if a macro tries to execute code that the original message did not address. In other words, a macro may try to execute something the original prompt did not consider or foresee.

It may be more productive to table the Trusted Locations thing for now.

ok, tabling the trusted locations thing for now...

Someone in the MS Community forum said:
    "you have to manually relink (using Linked Table Manager) when you open the dev FE, then link back before you generate the accde."

When I made changes to the user interface before the redistribution of the accde, I didn't do anything with the Linked Table Manager.

Do you think this would cause/contribute to my issue?

June7 is online now VIP
    See post 8. However, if the issue is that Access can't find the backend because of bad pathing, I would expect a different error message than 'already in use'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Not really making sense to me. It must have been taken out of context because the link manger is irrelevant after the accde is published. In other words, set and forget...

The distinction is what June had already mentioned. Avoid using mapped drives if possible.

When you are linking a table in the development file or using the link manager, it is advisable to navigate to the back end file going the long way around the block. Go through the entire network by selecting the domain and then drilling down to the server and to the folder, etc.

This will create a path that is recognized as a the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) vs. using a mapped drive that will cerate a hurdle or two, at least. A linked table using UNC will work for any client that is logged into the same domain. (For the purists out there, I am trying to avoid getting too technical).

Bottom line, if you go to your original FE file of the accdb extension type and look at the link manager, you do not want to see drive letters in the path. D:\DataFolder\Datafile.accdb would not be desirable. but.... \\ServerName\FolderName\FileName.accdb is desirable or something like.. \\192.168.1.110\FolderName\FileName.accdb

June7 is online now VIP
    The UNC pathing can be set with VBA code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

How do I find the pathing? I know, I feel really stupid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.