MatthewGrace is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Using a subform control... with no subform!

I have a blank form that I have dropped 3 subform controls onto. Immediately upon dropping each of those subform controls, the Subform Wizard begins. I use that Subform Wizard to find a saved Query using the dropdown list provided, and then add the ENTIRE query (every column name) to my selection. Lastly, I press "finish" after giving the new Subform a name... because it automatically generates a subform every time you use the subform wizard. As I said, I do this for 3 subform controls.

Finally, I go to save the primary form and lo, I am prompted to save FOUR different forms! The main form, and then an auto-generated form for each of the 3 subforms placed upon it...

I wonder... why not just use a single form, drop 3 subform controls on it but skip the wizard and manually select the "SourceObject" property of the subform, and select my desired premade query? With this technique, I only need to save a single form.

The kicker, and my question, is this: In my situation, I only need the classic datasheet-like view offered by the Query itself, no different than if you double click on a saved Query in the left pane. Under these circumstances, do I lose any functionality (now or in the future) by neglecting the use of an additional subform for each subform control? This is important because, with my current project, I could rack up dozens of forms and it will be cumbersome and seemingly unnecessary... especially when the SourceObject property of the SubForm control gives me the alternative of linking directly to the Query itself.

Thank you for any insight,
    MatthewGrace

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A form can have event coding with embedded macros or VBA, the query cannot. Data macros might be possible but I've never used them so not sure.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.