otteraccess is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Access on Server 2008: Drop down list scroll bar locks up window

We are developing an Access 2010 database that is to be served using MS Server. Currently we have Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 64bit with Server Manager Version: 6.1.7601.17514 SP1 on a cumputer with 8GB RAM and an Intel Celeron G550 2.6GHz processor. All software is up to date with MS updates.

We are having a problem with dropdown lists that have too many items to show in the drop-down window so there is a scroll bar. If I click on the down arrow and open the drop down list, and then click on the scroll bar, the access window locks up. If I only click on a choice in the drop-down, but not the scroll bar, it works fine and does not lock up. Once access is locked up, I can click on another window on the desktop and then Access becomes active again.
    This does not happen on windows 7.

Anyone have any experience with this bug and have any solution for it?

Thank you,
    Patrick

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't have first hand experience with the scenario you describe but, when I got to the part in your post where it says, "with 8GB RAM and an Intel Celeron G550 2.6GHz processor", I started guessing what the rest of the post would be about.

I am not surprised Server 2008 loaded but I would be surprised if you got much performance from the server. I looked at some of the specs and it does not seem like a good choice for a server platform. Although, it has been a while since I built out a server from scratch.

Why are you running your Access app from the server anyway? If I had a choice, I would not allow users near a server and I would not have Access or Access runtime installed on Windows Server. This is not saying Windows Server can not be a file server for an accdb or mdb, etc

The reason for using Server is we need to serve the Access app to 3 simultaneous users.
    Thank you for the suggestion about the CPU. I'll look into that. We are having some other OS glitches now, so it seems likely it is OS related and may not be an Access bug.
    -p

This is an off the shelf Dell server that has the option of having Server 2008 or 2012 pre-installed. We installed the OS ourselves.
    So Dell must have checked out the CPU/OS compatibility.

If you need a Domain Controller, use Windows Server. You do not need Windows Server to give access to an Access back end file. For instance, I use W7 to serve 5 users on a Peachtree Accounting app (now called Sage 50). Granted, the box is about $3,000 in parts alone but it works great. I wanted some hardware dedicated to the accounting department and it is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of CAL's.

I will just reiterate the fact that my preference is not to run applications on a server. When you set up a windows server you should have specific roles planned for it. These roles should be server roles, not workstation roles. I am going to wager your server is not performing well because of its hardware limitations, compounded by the fact you have various apps installed. However, it could be a number of things.

I will expand on one more thing. Nowadays it is getting more and more difficult (expensive) to build your own computers but, when I install an OS, I install ONLY what is needed. I don't install trial apps, random hardware utilities, multiple internet browsers, etc. Consider this approach when the platform is a server and it is even more critical to not install a bunch of fluff. I would not even consider installing Office on Windows Server. However, this is just me and I am pretty weird.

Thank you for the advice.
    -Patrick

Did you have to do something like this to get W7 to allow multiple concurrent users?
    http://www.serverwatch.com/server-tu...n-windows.html
    Thank you,
    Patrick

I read the title and will assume they are talking about .RDP

All you need is a peer to peer. W7 has some pretty good security settings for sharing files. Although, the wizards still confuse the heck out of me. So, no, you do not need to use RDP to gain access to a file and connect to it. RDP will burn up resources on the machine you are connecting to and goes against my methodology of "Server". In fact, I would disable RDP and certain Messenger keys.

If you share a folder, you can limit the number of concurrent connections in the properties of the folder, I believe, under the security tab, and maybe advanced settings button.

We are serving the Access app to remote users over the web, so we need something like Remote Desktop to allow the multiple logins and concurrent modification of the database.

Consider some hardware that is designed with virtualization in mind. Have not tried W7 in that type of environment. Would require some research and talking to those that have recent experience.

I was just thinking you may be able to throw a Band-Aid on things by disabling the onboard graphics and installing a video card. Be sure to consider the power supply in you Server if you decide to try this. Regardless, you will want to do some research on the topic in general.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.