adreasler is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Form to add items to a "many to many" link table.

I'm building a database, and one part of it is a table linking 'components' (Using an Autonumber Key field, but selected by the user according to 'Category' and 'Detail' fields) to 'subassemblies' (indexed and selected by the the same key field), There are multiple components that can fall under a single Category/Detail combination, and I've already gotten a form that allows me to narrow a search down to a single Category/Detail set.

What I'm looking for is a way to make a 'pop up' form for adding components to a subassembly. So you could go to the 'Subassembly Edit' form, hit an 'add component' button, and get the pop-up where you could search down to the Category/Detail combination (Which I already know how to do) then select one item from the resulting search, hit a 'confirm' button and the database will append an entry into the 'Components in Subassemblies' crosslink table with the selected components 'Index' value (The unique Autonumber), The Subassembly ID Number, and a default Quantity of 1.

I'm currently performing this task 'by hand,' editing the crosslink table directly after looking up the pertinent ID numbers, but I'd like to 'automate' the task.

The database is being built and accessed through MS Access 2013, using the default settings.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Any chance you can provide a sample database. Just make a copy of your database with any relevant objects (tables, queries, forms etc) take out any sensitive information then compact/repair and zip it up then upload it to this site. What you're asking to do is possible but I don't want to create something from scratch.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.