newbieX is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Database design help for multiple contacts

I have a spreadsheet that has multiple contact information. Many of the contact names and addresses are repeats, but not always. Some of the contacts show up for multiple records. Sometimes the contact names are the same but the address and phone numbers differ. Not all contact information is complete for all columns.

I created two tables. A projects table and a contacts table. The contacts table has each individual contact information as a separate record with ContactID as the PK. The projects table contact information was substituted for 4 fields (HomeID, MailID,BillingID, CompanyID) and the ContactID value placed in its corresponding field. I thought this would work but I am having problems creating a query in Access 2007 to mimic the spreadsheet. Because the Contacts table references 4 fields in the table, my query is only finding those records where all 4 of the fields match.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong and how to approach this issue better?Attachment 14697

Sample of data reflecting what I am trying to accomplish attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Access and Excel are two different software packages with different purposes and object models.
    Using Access to mimic a spreadsheet seems a non-starter.

You may want to read up on database design.

If you have the same contacts with various addresses, isn't that a sign of "out of date" data?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Possibly two different contacts named John Doe?

The query needs to include the ContactsTable 4 times, each joining to one of the ID fields in Projects Table. The join type for each must be 'Include all records from Projects Table ...' (NOT an inner join).

Post your query for analysis if still need help.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Displaying multiple contacts

I tried that. The problem is I don't know how to set up a query that displays the following question in a form and/or report given the design of my database:

Display the names, addresses and phone numbers for the four contacts for project X.

Attached is a mdb that shows what I am trying to do.

e.g. Using attached sample database, if user selects Project 2, my form or report might look like this:

Project 2
    Home Contact
    Frank Smith
    456 First St
    555-5555

Mail Contact
    John Doe
    123 Main St
    555-1234

Billing Contact
    None listed

Company Contact
    None Listed

It seems like this should be simple but I just can't seem to get the information to display correctly. I'm about ready to go back to having this stuff in spreadsheet format since normalizing it is proving to be too complex for me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The query is fine. Just drag Names, Addresses, Phones fields from the 4 Contacts tables to the grid. Can give them alias names.

Maybe some data entry errors. For instance, new Projects table has Mary Jackson in HomeID for ProjectID 6 instead of George Jones as shown in the original table. That's the only one I can see.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yes. That did the trick. Now that you've explained it, it makes perfect sense. I can't believe I did not see it. Arrrggghhh. Sometimes you just get stuck on an idea and can't see beyond it. I was pretty sure I set up the tables right but couldn't figure out how to display the data.

Also, never thought to create an alias. For those of you who don't know how to do this (I didn't) Right click on the field name in the query design grid. Open the properties box and enter the alias under Caption.

Whoo hoo.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The query is fine. Just drag Names, Addresses, Phones fields from the 4 Contacts tables to the grid. Can give them alias names.

Maybe some data entry errors. For instance, new Projects table has Mary Jackson in HomeID for ProjectID 6 instead of George Jones as shown in the original table. That's the only one I can see.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.