Access_Novice is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

I can't understand the double and single quotations in this code

Please see the attached Word file for a screen shot. This is a screen shot from a DVD tutorial I am watching. I am only concerned about the quotes in the red box. In my opinion, the person doesn't do an adequate job of explaining the purpose of the double and single quotes. I understand it, then I don't. Perhaps if he typed all the text first, then went back and placed the quotations, this would be much easier to understand.

This is driving me crazy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The WHERE CONDITION of OpenForm (or OpenReport) follows syntax of query WHERE clause.

The apostrophes delimit a text criteria, # is for date criteria, nothing for number.

"DateEnter = #" & Me.SearchDate & "#"

"ID = " & Me.SearchNumber

The quotes tell VBA the beginning and end of a text string.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

First question is what do you mean when you say an apostrophe delimits a text criteria?

Secondly, if you look at the quotes in my screen shot, I can you explain which chunk of data is enclosed in first ", the second ", the third ", the fourth ", and the first and second '. This would make it much easier for me to see what section of the code each set of " and ' corresponds to.

June7 is online now VIP
    Quotes and apostrophes would be in pairs. Quotes are the outer pair and apostrophes are inner. So start from the left. Look at examples with literal criteria, not concatenated variable.

"ItemTitle Like 'Little*'"

"ItemDate = #1/1/2013#"

"ItemID = 15"

Now concatenating a variable in place of the literal.

"ItemTitle Like '" & Me.Search & "*'"

"ItemDate = #" & Me.Search & "#"

"ItemID = " & Me.Search

This doesn't take into account apostrophes used in data - that's another issue. Like street names with possessive - Adam's Blvd. And quote marks in data is a real nuisance.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I think I understand what you are saying,, but I can't apply that to my example. I have another attachment with three possible ways of seeing the grouping of the quotes in question. The attached file is called "3 Possibilities."

Can you tell me which of the three is correct? I'm still failing to see grouping.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Look at my examples that use literal criteria and do not have concatenation.

Everything within two quote marks is a discrete string, starting from the leftmost, then the ' and # delimiters define text and date criteria.

Imagine how string built by an expression using concatenation will look after code executes. It should be a string like the literal examples.

Therefore the middle example is correct.

Review link on debugging techniques at bottom of my post. There are methods to help you analyse if the concatenation is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Look at my examples that use literal criteria and do not have concatenation.

Everything within two quote marks is a discrete string, starting from the leftmost, then the ' and # delimiters define text and date criteria.

Imagine how string built by an expression using concatenation will look after code executes. It should be a string like the literal examples.

Therefore the middle example is correct.

Review link on debugging techniques at bottom of my post. There are methods to help you analyse if the concatenation is correct.
    I've got it now. The part that was throwing me off in my example were the " surrounding the me.search and the &. Thank you for your insight.

June7 is online now VIP
    That's because the " marks aren't surrounding the Me.Search and the &s, those are outside the paired " marks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.