vitordf is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

type mismatch when importing Excel file (access 2010)

Hi,
    I am getting the message (Type mismatch) every time I try to import a spreadsheet regardless if is to add into a existing table or to create a new table, is there any ideas why this could be?

In matter of fact this happens with every access database that I open, regardless if it was created by me or someone else :-)

Thanks,

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It sounds like you may have a mixed data type.
    When Access imports an Excel file, it tries to "guess" the format of each field. I believe it only looks at something like the first 10 rows in doing that.
    So if you have a field where the first 10 entries are numeric, but then somewhere else further down that field, there is an alpha entry, that would cause this sort of error.

If you cannot locate where the error is, one workaround is to export the Excel file to a text file, and then import that where you get to control the data type of every field you are importing. If you choose to import every field as text, and the import works, then you know that is most likely the cause of the problem.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Look for weird stuff in the first line of the excel spreadsheet. A single quote, by itself, has had this effect at times.

Hi,
    Appreciate your help and comments, and yes I understand that normally is due to a mismatch in the data source versus the data within the table, but in a matter of fact even when I try to import a NEW table from excel into a new database the same message is displayed :'( really frustrated...

Cheers

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    but in a matter of fact even when I try to import a NEW table from excel into a new database the same message is displayed :'( really frustrated...
    That would not solve either of the issues we discussed, as the issue is with how Access sees your Excel data. So importing to a new table would make no difference at all, if the issue is one of the things Dal and I brought up.
    Did you try my suggestion of exporting to a Text file and importing that?

Yes i have tried to import as a text and csv file again no success... would be a possibility that Access application is corrupt/have an issue? if is there any way that Access can be repaired?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes i have tried to import as a text and csv file again no success...
    What kind of error message does it give you?
    Are you importing every field as Text?

would be a possibility that Access application is corrupt/have an issue? if is there any way that Access can be repaired?
    That certainly is a possibility. You could try running a "Compact and Repair" on it, although I have found that if a database really is corrupt, that often does not work.
    I find the best way to fix a corrupt database is to start a new, blank database, then import all off your objects over from the corrupt one into the new one.

I think the problem is more serious than that, as I have created a NEW database and import a excel/txt and csv file and again the message "Type mismatch" is given, can see a blank wizard but need to close as nothing is happening ;'(

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Are you saying it is not even letting you go through the Wizard to set the data type of each field?
    It could possibly be an Access corruption issue, which means you may want to re-install Access and apply all updates and patches.

First, however, you may want to try this. Create a very simple text files (just a few rows and columns), and try importing that.
    If you run into issues with that, then that could indeed indicate you have a corrupted version of Access that you need to re-install.
    If it does work OK, it probably points to a data issue. If your data is not sensitive, you could try uploading your data file here so we can see what you are working with.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    More and more sounding like a candidate for reinstall of Access.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.