Poagman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

How To: Access Web Database > Save sub-datasheet data to a a seperate table

Trying to build a Change Request Tool using our Office 365 account and an Access Web Database linked to SharePoint 2010 lists.

Tables:
    Change Orders (List form starts from)
    Master Record Data (to import as sub-datasheet on "Change Order" form)
    Proposed Data (to submit imported data to for editing - like a holding tank/sandbox area)

Currently, you open the Change orders form, enter a PN, and it pulls filtered data from "Master Record Data" to a sub-datasheet in the form (good for review).

We can't let users edit the Master Record prior to approval, so I would like to save the imported sub-datasheet data to a separate list (Proposed Data) for editing & manager review. There they can add or delete rows as needed without affecting the master. How do I submit imported data to this location?

Desired Flow:
    1. Open Change Order form
    2. Enter PN
    3. Filtered sub-datasheet data displays
    4. Save change order specifics to Change Orders table so an ID# is generated
    5. ?? Somehow add the sub-datasheet rows to the "Proposed Item Relationships" table with the Change order ID added in a new column ??
    6. ?? "Change orders" form re-opens and pulls data from "Proposed Data" for the reviewer to see ??
    7. Reviewer approves
    8. I then make the approved changes to the Master Record

Resources:
    InfoPath (In-case better to build forms there off of lists rather than using a web database form?)
    No webservices or custom workflows available in our Office 365 package
    No Business Connectivity Services to talk to SQL server.

NTC is offline VIP
    fundamentally one must write the records, using an Append Query, from Master table to Interim table. Then allow editing of Interim. Followed by an Update Query to overwrite the Master from the Interim at the appropriate point in time - and probably followed by deleting out records from the Interim table.

obviously there is alot of detail and variations in how the user interface is implemented, plus a web form implementation may vary somewhat but the fundamental design is clear.

Poagman is offline Novice

write the records, using an Append Query, from Master table to Interim table

Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    fundamentally one must write the records, using an Append Query, from Master table to Interim table. Then allow editing of Interim. Followed by an Update Query to overwrite the Master from the Interim at the appropriate point in time - and probably followed by deleting out records from the Interim table.
    Thank you. This is an approach I have not been pointed towards or aware of.

Can you (or anyone) help guide me a bit more with "write the records, using an Append Query, from Master table to Interim table"

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.