Carol Geddes is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Parameters in a query?

I have placed an expression column to concatenate the whole names of clients.

I used an IIF as the expression. I originally used " " to make a space and " and " to of course make the word and with a space on each side of it.

WholeNames: IIf([FName2] Is Not Null,IIf([ComLaw]=True,[FName1] & [ ] & [LName1] & [ ] & [“and”] & [FName2] & [ ] & [LName2],[FName1] & [“and”] & [FName2] & [ ] & [LName1]),[FName1] & [ ] & [LName1])

When I run the query I get a parameter dialog box asking me to enter the parameter value. It makes no difference if I have "" in there with no square brackets or whether I have it placed in the square brackets.
    I realize that normally these kind of IIF's are better placed in a report or in word when the names are merged.
    I would really like to use the expression field in Word rather than placing the code there.

Why does my query not recognise my & " " & ?
    Thanks
    Carol

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    In IIf, don't use Is Not Null - use Not IsNull([FName2]). Don't use [ ] to define literal text (or space) - use " ".

WholeNames: IIf(Not IsNull([FName2]), IIf([ComLaw]=True, [FName1] & " " & [LName1] & " and " & [FName2] & " " & [LName2], [FName1] & " and " & [FName2] & " " & [LName1]), [FName1] & " " & [LName1])
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thank you for the Not IsNull
    I will try that.

I have now replaced the [] with & " " & throughout my other expression column named WholeStreet.

WholeStreet: IIf([Unit#]=Null,[House#] & “ “ & [Street] & “ “ & [StType] & “ “ & [Quad],[Unit#] & “ “ & [House#] & “ “& [Street] & “ “ & [StType] & “ “ & [Quad])

Now when I run this query it says that I have Invalid Syntax.

It at least ran with the [] in there. Now it won't run at all.

??

Sorry that I have such a poor understanding of this.
    Carol

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Can't use =Null, nothing is ever =Null. Review (see Error 5): http://allenbrowne.com/casu-12.html

That IIf syntax has an error but this is simpler:

WholeStreet: [Unit#] & IIf(IsNull([Unit#]), "", " ") & [House#] & " " & [Street] & " " & [StType] & " " [Quad]

BTW, advise no special characters or punctuation (underscore is exception) in names.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    By the way, if you're using IIF, and you're testing for Not IsNull(x), just use IsNull(x) and swap the order of the other two parameters. Easier to read.

Thank you all.
    I see the error of my ways
    Carol

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.