pg2013 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Using Forms to complete Self Assessments

Hi

I'm fairly new to Access and have been tasked with creating a system for users to enter an assessment of their own performance. I have the tables all set up and have now moved on to creating the forms for input. Ideally, I would like the user to select their name from a list on one form (like a very basic log-in process) and for that to take them to an entry form that only allows them to enter their assessment scores. I'd like for them to not see any other assessments added against their name.

Could somebody help me please?

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I'd like for them to not see any other assessments added against their name.
    Set the forms "Data Entry" property to Yes.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

pg2013 is offline Novice
    Thanks Bob, that helped a lot

I've encountered a new problem now though.

I have a total of 54 assessment questions that need to be on the form. To save space and make the form more usable, I created a few subforms and wanted to add them to different tabs on a tab control. When I do this though, each tab creates a new assessment record instead of keeping to the same assessment.

Is this the best way of having multiple "pages" on my form and what can I do to fix the new record problem?

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pg2013 View Post
    Thanks Bob, that helped a lot

I've encountered a new problem now though.

I have a total of 54 assessment questions that need to be on the form. To save space and make the form more usable, I created a few subforms and wanted to add them to different tabs on a tab control. When I do this though, each tab creates a new assessment record instead of keeping to the same assessment.

Is this the best way of having multiple "pages" on my form and what can I do to fix the new record problem?
    I wouldn't necessarily say this is the best way, but instead of having Sub forms on each tab, try putting just the text boxes (questions) on the tabs directly. It seems to work for me.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post

...I wouldn't necessarily say this is the best way, but instead of having Sub forms on each tab, try putting just the text boxes (questions) on the tabs directly...
    Anytime there are more than 25-30 Fields, in a single RecordSource, we always wonder whether the database is properly normalized, but assuming that it is, Bob's suggestion is exactly how I would approach this.

Keep in mind that when placing the Controls directly on the Pages of a Tabbed Control, they are referred to as if the Tabbed Control didn't exist. In other words, if you had ControlA on a Form, you could do something like this:

Me.ControlA = Date()

If you then added a Tabbed Control, and moved ControlA onto a Page on the Tabbed Control, you would still use:

Me.ControlA = Date()

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

pg2013 is offline Novice
    Thanks for the responses guys. I realised I was going about it in completely the wrong way, trying to get multiple subforms onto a tab control on the main form when I can just have a tab control in the subform.

All sorted now. Thanks for the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.