Burky is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Help With VERY basic Database

Hello all,
    I have not used Access for well over 20 years, when I was using it regularly I would have been able to do what I need in no time but now I don't even know where to start. I would appreciate someone who might be able to coach me. I am sure that, I hope that, with a little coaching it will all start to come back to me. OK so here is basically what I am looking for

I have an Excel spreadsheet and I need to be able to type in a # in an Access form and it will list all the associated fields from the spreadsheet, I do not need to keep the retrieved data it's just a inquiry the excel spreadsheet will be updated regularly.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    You could create a form with an "unbound" text box, name that box in the name property and then refer to it in the forms record source query (again properties but for the form) under the criteria of the field you want searched.

criteria: forms!mainform!unboundtextbox

Have the form requery/refresh the subform or continous form after you have typed in the field using an event (properties of the unbound text box). And afterupdate event will do this (after pressing enter).

Note: I am assuming you are going to import the excel into a table.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    My preference is usually to import the data into the DB. There is a wizard you can run and store the import procedure to call on it later via VBA.

You can link to excel fairly easily. I am not an excel expert or even good at it. Maybe you can name a region within your spreadsheet and search across columns using your Access form. What kind of answer are you trying to get from your query? A count of matches? What the column and row is for each field?

Having one text box on a form search across columns and worksheets doesn't sound overly simple. Maybe you can provide more details. Maybe it is simple and I just don't know.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.