jeh35 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Multiple columns with wide group header

I need to produce a grouped report. Each group has a header taking up the full page width (A4 landscape), reporting material common to all the records in its group. The detail records for each individual component, basically a small image and some dimensions, require much less space. Three columns of them fit comfortably within the width of a page. The effect I need is similar to a newspaper headline spanning three columns.

I thought I could do this by using the main report set to single column and a linked sub-report, set to three columns, for the detail records. However as far as I can see that can't be made to work. The report and the sub-report seem to insist on having the same number of columns (the number set in whichever one was edited last). Could someone please suggest what I might have missed (always probable) or some other way I might be able to achieve this?

I posted this on access-programmers.co.uk a few days ago. It's showing over 40 views there but no-one has replied. Does anyone here have any ideas?

I'm using Access 2010 and Win 7

TIA John

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Depending on the tables involved in the report, subreport might not be needed. If there is only one 'many' child table related to main report record involved, then can probably eliminate the subreport. Include the child table in the main report RecordSource.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jeh35 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I did at first. I just couldn't find a way to put multiple columns in the detail section without forcing three columns on the entire report. I only went to the more complicated (and un-necessary in this case) sub-report in desperation. I still think I may have missed something - I just don't know what it is!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I've never had to build a multi-column report with grouping. Mine has labels in page header and page header section does not columnate. Didn't realize the group sections would be columnated along with the detail section.

I don't think you missed anything. Seems that is the nature of columned report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.