tfanara is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Completed tasks

I have a database with two tables: documents and tasks, with a one-to-many relationship between them (one task to many documents). Is there an easy way to mark when the tasks are completed for each individual document? In other words, I can easily make a "completed" field in the tasks table, but it would show that the task is completed for all documents. I want to be able to see which documents have NOT had that task done to them yet.

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but when creating my one-to-many relationship, I simply used a "look-up wizard" field when creating my tasks table, which created a drop-down check box for the documents. I'm not sure this was the correct way to do it...

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A drop-down check box for the documents leads me to think you are using a multi-value field to select documents for each task. If this is the case then no cannot record completion date for each document. You need a related child table instead of the multi-value field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

tfanara is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    A drop-down check box for the documents leads me to think you are using a multi-value field to select documents for each task. If this is the case then no cannot record completion date for each document. You need a related child table instead of the multi-value field.
    Thank you for your response!

I thought maybe that was the problem - how do I make it a related child table?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The child table will need a field to store the task ID as a foreign key. Other fields for document ID and completion date.

Use a form/subform arrangement to enter/edit records.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.