Lookup is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Unable to sort field

I created a table by importing data from an Excel spreadsheet. Now I have discovered that I am unable to filter the data, i.e. do an ascending and.or descending sort, in the first field of the table, which is a long text field. It is the only field that has text, all others are yes/no fields. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks for your help.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by 'long text' - memo type field? Can't sort on memo type field. However, can apply filter criteria to the field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

vincent-leeway is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes indeed can not sort memo type field, if you need it at all then right a custom front end application.

Lookup is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Long text is the type of field that it is - like date, yes/no, number, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What do you mean by 'long text' - memo type field? Can't sort on memo type field. However, can apply filter criteria to the field.
    I don't know what you mean by a "memo field." When you go into design view and set the parameters for the field, such as yes/no, short text, long text, etc. That is what I mean. In other Access databases that I have created, where I have manually entered in all the information, I can always just click at the header and choose Ascending as a method of sorting. On this one, which was imported from an Excel spreadsheet, the Ascending choice is grayed out and so I can't use it. Thanks for your time.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry, just noticed you are using Access 2013 and now recall that 'Long Text' is what used to be 'Memo' type - a rose by any other name ...
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Lookup is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

You solved it!

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Sorry, just noticed you are using Access 2013 and now recall that 'Long Text' is what used to be 'Memo' type - a rose by any other name ...
    I thought the issue was importing the data from Excel...whew! SO glad it was something as simple as changing the field to a "short-text" type field....thank you, thank you, thank you for all the time, effort and expertise on my behalf. Have a great day!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.