tatihulot is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Drop-Down Menu Field's Background Color: Based on Selection?

Hello, everyone.

I just purchased Access 2013. I’ve been using FileMaker Pro for a few years. (I also have Office Home and Student 2010.)

I have a flat-file movie collection database in FileMaker Pro. I’ve exported the data to an Excel spreadsheet. My goal is to import the Excel Spreadsheet into Access, and create a flat-file movie collection database in Access 2013 that is fundamentally identical to the FileMaker Pro one…with a minor change or two.

There are two issues I am concerned about:

1) Designing the form, and
    2) Ensuring the imported Excel spreadsheet data displays properly in the form.

It’s been years since I’ve used any version of Access (the last one I used was Access 2003), so I’m rusty. Also, Access 2013 seems quite different from previous versions.

So, here is my first question: One of the fields I want to create is called Color. It will be a drop-down menu, consisting of various colors. (I’m going to have to remember how to create one.)

I want the background color of the field to change, based on which item in the drop-down menu I select. For example, if I select Red, then the background color of the form field should turn red. If I select Blue, then the background color of the form field should turn blue. And so on. (Of course, I want each individual record to have the proper color. The field should not be one color for ALL records. I just want that to be clarified, just in case.)

How do I go about learning how to do this with Access 2013?

Thank you for your assistance! Jd

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Conditional Formatting if the only way for records in continuous or datasheet view to have dynamic background colors.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

tatihulot is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I think I figured it out. Quite simple, actually.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.