Tim Hardison is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Angry Setting Field Properties for Numbers

I have had a great deal of difficulty dealing with numbers in access. I was recently entering flexibility numbers of students ie 9.0, 11.5, 4.5, 8.0. I was entering it as text initially, but I had to average these for right and left leg to a single value. I went back and reset data type to number, and set the set the properties to long integer, fixed, with one decimal space. I did a caluculated field in an query to calculate the average. In beginning to enter data again for a new school this am, I noticed that I had 500 kids whose flexibility values had changed, all rounded off to a whole number, with a .0 following all numbers. Could anyone explain how I need to set field properties so I can keep the .5's for accuracy, average the right and left leg, and still be able to sort the numbers Z to A accurately. Many times in the past I have to put a placeholder 0 in front of numbers so they will sort accurately. I am tired of having to renter data, because my settings were wrong, and Access has automatically rounded off.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Integers (long or short) are whole numbers only. You need to use a DataType that supports a decimal. If 4 places is adequate I prefer the Currency DataType. If not then you will need to use one of the floating point types (Single or Double).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.