Back2Basics is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2003

Linking data between databases

I have two databases that are used by different teams. There is reluctance for both teams to use the same data base because they are used for diffrent purposes etc.

However, there is quite a bit of information that crosses over. Basically, when an order is logged it goes to Database A (DBA) then they import the customer information such as name, address etc. Then the order is passed to team B who deal with the order, who use Database B (DBB). Currently Team B have to import all of this information again into DBB.

What I want to do is link the two databases so that once something has been added to DBA it becomes available from a drop down list on DBB and team B can then import all of the other necessary information they need.

What would be the best way of linking these up? i thought about trying to create a button in DBB so that when it is selected it asks for an order number which would then search DBA for that number and provide a new record in DBB with the first few fields already completed.

I don't really know how to do what I have suggested, or whether it would work - but any help regarding how to do this or something that would work even better would be very much appreciated.

Please feel free to ask any questions if I am unclear. I can't post any examples unfortunately as it is blocked from my work computer.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    An integrated db would be the simplest approach. Alternative options:

1. table links from DBB to tables in DBA then work with the linked tables as if they were actually in DBB, no need to 'import' to duplicate tables in DBB

2. VBA code in DBB to open recordset of DBA tables and manipulate the recordset data or the code could run UPDATE or INSERT sql actions to pull data from DBA tables directly to DBB tables
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.