pjd71 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Like Expression causing "Enter Parameter Value"

I finally had gotten my search box to autofill in a form, which required a "Like" expression in the Querys. I now have the problem of getting the Enter Parameter Value for the named "SearchBox" for Contracts Query and FCP Request. I get the same pop up when I attempt to open the report.

I have the Search box in the respective forms searching the Query, for I made a unique ID number based on the Fund Control Point and year.

I am assuming this is because of the Like expression that I put in the query under "ID Test"

Many different users use this and most are inexperiened in Access. So asking them to hit okay or cancel, will really mess them up.

I attached the document below for help in troubleshooting. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pjd71; 06-13-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    can you convert the portion that's not working to 2007 or prior, if you can I can take a look.

pjd71 is offline Novice
    It is functional for 2007. I know this for sure, for we have 2007 at work and using this there. I have to somewhat careful when I do some of this work with 2013 at home, so it is functional.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am not getting the parameter popup. The search works, the report works. For both forms and respective reports. I don't like dynamic parameters in queries. I prefer to use WHERE CONDITION of OpenForm/OpenReport method. I see that you have done that for some reports, why not these two?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

pjd71 is offline Novice

Open Query/Report when Forms are Closed

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I am not getting the parameter popup. The search works, the report works. For both forms and respective reports. I don't like dynamic parameters in queries. I prefer to use WHERE CONDITION of OpenForm/OpenReport method. I see that you have done that for some reports, why not these two?
    I will have to dig in deeper. I did upload another copy, just in case. With the forms closed, I noticed that the Enter Parameter Value comes up. I am trying to still decipher different scripts, so an example would be great. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    That's why I don't use dynamic parameters in queries. If the parameter is a reference to control on form then of course the form must be open or Access response is: "I can't find a control by that name on any open objects, you must input a value". I build reports so they will generate without popups regardless of how opened.

You have used the WHERE CONDITION approach in your project.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

pjd71 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    That's why I don't use dynamic parameters in queries. If the parameter is a reference to control on form then of course the form must be open or Access response is: "I can't find a control by that name on any open objects, you must input a value". I build reports so they will generate without popups regardless of how opened.

You have used the WHERE CONDITION approach in your project.
    I failed to realize that I did not need an expression in the Criteria Field in Data Source for the form. So once researching a little more, I cam across that Access defaults to the parameter to be a text file, which it was. With my "Like" expression, I was confusing the database to think it was missing something.

Thanks for making me research the "Where" in your last post.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.